JUSS10

K321 engine noise

JUSS10

So I recently picked up a 314-A and despite its appearance, the engine fired right up. After a good cleaning and a new air filter I actually ran the tractor for a little while to drive it around and feel it out. I noticed it had a ticking sound. almost like an exhaust leak but I couldn't quite pin point what it was or where it was coming from. It seems to be coming from the head or near the flywheel. Attached is a video of the engine running. Maybe there is nothing wrong. It has low hours (500) and the oil was changed on a regular basis, but the clicking sound just didn't seem normal to me compared to my other kohlers. 

Justin

IMG_3587.MOV

Edited by JUSS10

JUSS10

here is a photobucket link

th_IMG_3587_zpsef03bbe4.jpg

Fordiesel69

If the baffles are good in the muffler, then that is a clear sound of the valves needing adjusted.  I think the spec is .008 to .010 on the intake, and .017 to .019 on the exhaust.  

My M12 sounded identical to that until I adjusted.

The engine model should be a K321 if you have the factory 14HP that came with the tractor.  The 16HP engine is a K341.

JUSS10

I just fixed the title!

And thanks, I'll take a look at the valves when I clean the engine up and tune it up.