the_nite_owl

D-160 Intake breather tube

the_nite_owl

Does anyone know where I can obtain an original style intake breather tube or have a suggestion on what would make a good replacement for one?  I have a 76 D-160 with the 16HP Onan.  I can fabricate something if I need to but having something to start with that is close would be a big help.

I have nearly completed cleaning (de-rusting) and repainting all the panels on the tractor, have it running reasonaly well and am working to convert it over to using a pedal for forward/reverse motion control.  I know others have done this type of conversion on these tractors but finding any information on it is difficult.  They only talk going on is about the conversions for the non-Sunstrand hydros.  This is a simple setup for converting really.  The hardest part is trying to figure out what to use for a mount to support the pedal that others would be able to easily replicate if they wish to follow my example. 

Thanks.
Trent

"D"- Man

I do not know about sourcing an original style breather tube. I will offer a suggestion, these models (as well as the 18 Automatic's ) were designed to allow them to be equipped with factory turning brakes without any modifications, if there is no need for this option, the turning brake pedals may be attached and linkage retrofitted to accomplish such a conversion. Don't ask me how it can be done as I do not know. I am equipping my 18 with the turning brakes if I can get some discs and rods to do it with. Mark.

Edited by TWIN54

the_nite_owl

Hi Mark, thanks for the suggestion.

I have seen the turning brakes setup and one of those pedals would be ideal though I have not seen them around for sale.  I would imagine them to not be cheap if they can be found but I have not looked into it.

Fabricating a pedal will be fairly easy for me to do.  The linkage to the forward/reverse control is very simple for this tractor so it is just a matter of the pedal and a mount and I would like to keep it as off the shelf as possible so that I can post what I did so that others can copy it for their own tractors.  If I can name specific parts and where they can be purchased rather than people having to cut, bend and weld it will be a change accessible to a larger number of people.

I could put together a conversion kit like the Darling kit for the non-Sundstrand transmissions but I would probably not be able to meet his quality and free time is such a short commodity these days to take on projects like that.  I am more than happy to share what design I come up with though that others can replicate.

• Like 1