Racinbob

Suburban Transmission woes

Racinbob

I did get a chance to play with the Suburban 400 a little bit in spite of the wife being home and a long list of other projects. Thanks to Fedex only delivering 1 of 3 gallons of pool deck paint I had a window of opportunity. OK, the wife wasn't watching me close enough.

Well, I gave up on getting the left hub off. I managed to get the transmission apart starting with the right side. So now I had the differential with the captive left side plate where I could get to it. I’m thinking that if I get to the roll pins holding the axles on I could remove them that way. It would have worked had it not been for the spider gears in the way. OK, I just remove them, right? I removed the roll pins and discovered that they won’t come out far enough with the side plate still attached. After a few attempts to remove the hub with a sledge hammer I tossed in the towel.

I was surprised how little crud was in the transmission. It will be an easy clean up. I noticed wear on some other gears that concerns me. In the pic with the input shaft and the H/S gears the ones on the right came out of the transmission. The left gears are a NOS 3523 and another input shaft/gear that I think will be OK. I’m wondering about the gears in the other two pics. Cluster gears, reverse idler and R/L gear. There’s a fair amount of wear. Keeping in mind that this will not be a worker what do you folks think?

The input and brake shaft bearing struck me a bit odd. Per the service note they switched from ball to roller bearings on the later 5010’s. My input has a ball bearing, the brake has a roller. I have the 471643 seals and the 7410 seal is an easy find. Toro still has the 1257 (83-2840) axle seals. I have a pair on the way scheduled for delivery Friday. The bronze axle bushings are also shot.

post-8408-0-70159200-1398281749_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-85227800-1398281761_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-24433800-1398281783_thumb.jp

stevasaurus

I do not understand why you could not get the spider gears out of the differential if you got the roll pins holding them out??  Maybe not enough room to get the pinion shafts out?? 

Yes, there is some wear on your cluster gear and the 1st/rev fork gear...and there is a little wear on the reverse idler in the last picture.  You could get by with that, but knowing what you are going through...I would look for a 1st/rev fork gear.  The rest is OK  :)

Racinbob

Thanks Steve, I'll start looking for that gear. I think you got it as to why I couldn't get the spider gears out. I got the roll pins out that hold the shafts on but the shafts had to come out from the left side. The side that the captive sideplate was on. I was far short of having enough room to get them out.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yep, I got it, but that is not where I thought you had a chance of getting hung up.  I thought you might be able to lift the differential up enough to get those shafts out.  Not easy, and it might take 2 people and a package of Band-aids.  I thought it would be around the fork gears and splined shaft that would make it work or not. :)  Talk with you next week.

After reading what you said again...(what you are saying is) the roll pins were on the right side and the pinion shafts had to come up against the left side plate that is in the way...thus...no room.  Right??  I knew it was a crap shoot, but now we know. :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus