JUSS10

picked up a new horse!

JUSS10

A while back I posted about a neighbor with a 300 series wheelhorse that he was looking to get rid of. I took a look and we made a deal on the 314-A. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Sorry no pictures today but I did get some of the original documentation which is really cool. Below is a picture of the documents. One thing, how do you move a hydro when its not running? Is there a tow valve somewhere? Don't want to damage it before I even get it up and running. 

Thanks!

Justin

D8EEB6B8-0A1E-488F-96D8-D42E9D550126_zps

• Like 1

motox25

Congrats on the horse! It should tell you how to hand push it in the manual, wheel horse recommends against towing mine in the manual. On my 520H there is no tow valve, you just put the motion control lever forward and push.

ericj

if it is an eaton 1100 you can just push it but if it is a eaton 700 push the motion control lever all the way forward and you should be able to push it, but it won't be easy. other wise you will have to lift 1 tire or just drag it . the other possibility it to get it running before you try to move it. good luck

eric j 

JUSS10

It has the eaton 700. So what is the difference between this machine (314-A) and the 314-H besides the 1100 transmission with hydrolift? Just tires and wheels? 

leeave96

It has the eaton 700. So what is the difference between this machine (314-A) and the 314-H besides the 1100 transmission with hydrolift? Just tires and wheels? 

1100 tranny is much stronger.  The 700 IMHO is fine for mowing and light ground engaging work, like pushing snow, but if you are towing heavy loads or running a moldboard plow, I don't know I would want to do that with mine.  On the plus side, if the 700 ever fails, eaton 1100's are fairly easy to come by and I have read lots of folks swapping them.

Having said all that - you'll probably be A-OK with the 700.  If it ain't broke - don't fix it... :)

dennist

Congrats on the tractor. Even with the motion lever forward, I have not been able to push a 700 at all(maybe I am just unlucky with them).

JUSS10

Well, I will take my jump box and hope that I can get it to fire. It ran last year before he stored it away. It should start, was just curious how to move it if it didn't. 

I forgot I have a few pictures of the tractor when I took a look at it the other day. Definitely needs a good clean up but its relatively low hours. Came with a deck, single stage blower, chains, weights and a track vac that mounts on the back. 

FB4B4EF3-01CA-4DA2-A7F6-9209D4E37A0B_zps

2878C0EA-2253-49EC-8EB7-29C5508521C7_zps

0B8D73A1-7EF6-4731-906D-510650D5D08B_zps

78309161-0E1C-49E7-859D-EF8092E3B02A_zps

AF8E1CBF-ACBC-4EA8-A7DB-230DCA4BBBB1_zps

• Like 2

MalMac

I'll bet you find a nice tractor under all that crud. Nice find.

• Like 2

JUSS10

I agree! It just needs a good clean up! I'm excited to have the track vac as the new house is two acres with a lot of trees. It will be great come this fall. 

Justin

• Like 1

dandan111

Dang. Did they ever clean it. What's that funky hitch?

JUSS10

Not often, it was just a hard working tractor for him. A little clean up and it will look much better! The hitch on the back is for the track vac that mounts on it. I picked the tractor and blower up over my noon hour and plan to get the track vac tonight. I will take photos to show what it looks like then. The Tractor fired right up and I was able to drive it on the trailer. That was a pleasant surprise. I already ordered a tune up kit for it through and will thoroughly clean the carb and engine. Should be back to work in no time!

On the topic of cleaning. I plan to wash it, I'm used to the 60's wheel horses so I know what is and isn't safe to get wet. This machine is a fair bit more complicated then those. What do I need to be concerned about if I decide to wash it up real good?

Edited by JUSS10

doc724

Wow, and I though the last one I picked up was dirty!  Mine was pristine on top, but underneath and inside the hood stand there was a pretty thick build-up of fine dirt (like you have).  It took me three "outings" of 2-3 hours each to take off panels and clean things up. (no, I do not have a power washer).  When I pulled off the engine tins, the blower housing was packed solid with the fine dirt, but the head fins were clear (thankfully).  Well, have fun, take your time, and this machine will reward you!

ericj

unhook the battery before you wash it, something i don't always do, and then blow it off real good with compressed air. i only do that when the tractor won't start after washing , but i don't have a power washer either. you should be good as long as you dry it off, by that i mean the electrical's system. come on it's a tractor it was made to sit out in the rain some just not for ever as some people do but i won't go there that's a whole nother can of worm's. i will just say that my tractors that sit out (several ) i keep covered. sorry didn't mean to go off topic

ps they push easier if they haven't been run for awhile. that goes for the 1100 or the 700.the longer they sit the easier they push

eric j 

JUSS10

Few more pics. Still haven't gotten the trac vac but maybe tomorrow I can grab that. 

Here is the blower:

83C13755-FF75-41AD-ABD0-62C0B0077E16_zps

B2BC80FD-427C-424A-A327-FCBCB762301D_zps

7665546A-AC72-44B7-B0CD-2749022A54A7_zps

And here is really the only major damage on the tractor. Anyone ever have this? How did you fix it? I have an idea but thought I would check with others first

5CE36E40-944A-423F-BB2B-A56A2015B688_zps

C5638DAE-C666-4B2B-839F-ABA6E0A34F37_zps

And a good shot at all the dirt on the engine. Already ordered a tune up kit and I will be spending quite a bit of time getting this cleaned up :/

B76F2D17-32B6-45F0-A925-A17C0B03DF95_zps

stevebo

It just amazes me at how people neglect equipment and "expect" them not to break down. I recently picked up a 312H myself and it took me 2 hours with a pressure washer to get it cleaned up. 

JUSS10

stevebo, did you just shoot with with the pressure washer without worry much about anything or did you cover certain areas? I intend to break out the pressure washer on this beast to speed up the process of cleaning, just don't want to damage anything.

And for whats its worth, my neighbor is a great guy and I got a great deal on the tractor. Not everyone is mechanically inclined or cares for these machines like we do. I'm just glad he gave me the option to buy it and I look forward to getting in cleaned up and ready for many more years of service. 

Justin

Edited by JUSS10

stevebo

Justin, 

I would just stay away from the carb and that is about it. I would take the seat pan and shifter plate off so you can get to the hydro fins and clean them really good. 

Ken B

It would be interesting to see what the air filter looks like....Congrats on your purchase. Your neighbor might want it back when he sees it cleaned up! :)

JUSS10

The air filter isn't pretty, thats for sure. But man it does run good. Oil is clean. I have a new filter and prefilter as well as plug, points, condensor, and carb kit coming in the mail tomorrow. I plan to pull the carb and just let that soak for a few days to get all the grime off. I am going to laser cut some covers for the intake and other spots on the engine so I can pressure wash it without getting water in anything. If the PTO wasn't so involved on these "newer" machines, I would just pull the engine to clean and paint. May still do that anyway. Guess we'll see!

Justin

JUSS10

picked up the track vac tonight. 

A06DF55B-D8C3-4530-B2E2-EAE64715A52C_zps

11F0B617-1E76-4BA3-BE64-219EE1B47D80_zps

RMCIII

It just amazes me at how people neglect equipment and "expect" them not to break down. I recently picked up a 312H myself and it took me 2 hours with a pressure washer to get it cleaned up. 

:text-yeahthat:

JUSS10

dirty was right. Here is a photo after I took the rear fender off. Years of grass and leafs. 

44727647-8273-4558-8E23-94B1FE14ACD3_zps

237F91E0-3A17-4DB7-8234-8622B948B748_zps

Looks pretty good after a clean up though. Still need to clean the engine really well but I did at least put a new air filter in.

56E7EBB9-A68D-47AF-AA66-F534E49A9C7B_zps

460CC134-0C01-45D4-8E69-AAAC2541D740_zps

• Like 1

JT Burkard

Amazing what a washing can do for esthetics.

MalMac

I am willing to bet that tractor had never even seen a wipe down, let alone a bath since the day it was made. By the looks of it, it was not used for mowing lawns or leaf pickup. Looks like it was used to mow dirt fields. Holy cow are big farm tractors are not allowed to get that bad, even if we have been out disking in the dry field all day.

AMC RULES

Looking better already.  :handgestures-thumbsup: