redrooster

Pto clutch service

redrooster

Wanted to get some ideas about cleaning the clutch up. I noticed the needle bearings were dirty so I am trying to decide weather to clean them without removing them or find out how to remove the bearings.post-12156-139800203977_thumb.jpg

Martin

if the bearing looks ok and wasn't noisy i would just leave it in and clean it.....

brake cleaner is a good way.....

maybe need to replace the seal depending on how hard the lip on the seal is or any damage...

if you need to replace the bearing and/or seal........

bearings are easy enough to press out and replace. use a hydraulic press or a simple long bolt and sockets the right diameter. i pressed the old one out on my 416 rebuild by placing a 3/8 bolt and nut sideways on the inside shoulder of the needle bearing and pressing against the bolt shaft with a hydraulic press to remove it. the bolt was long enough to just slide through the slots in the bore of the pto cone sideways and i un did the nut until it was tight against the bore and the flats of the bolt and nut rested on the sides of the bearing shell.....

don't have a pic of removal, but heres how i pressed the needle bearing and seal back in using a long carriage bolt and assorted large sockets and large flat washers........

post-4321-0-13463900-1398003477_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-54423000-1398003495_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-38358100-1398003513_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

rmaynard

If you decide to remove them, they can be tapped out with a drift pin and a hammer. I have a thread on here about how to install new one with common hand tools. I also have some new bearings in stock.

• Like 1

Martin

thats a good thread Bob, with decent pics of how to do it. i get all wrapped up in getting things done and forget to take pics until I'm almost finished......

i picked up the bearings from motion industries......

post-4321-0-61872500-1398004834_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

I replaced a set of bearings using the method Martin posted and it worked fine.    A lot of times just a good cleaning and installing of grease will make that PTO clutch work fine.   Check the clutch plate too for a lot of times it is more of an issue on the PTO working or making noise etc.

rmaynard

If you do clean and re-lube, or replace and lube, use no more than about a tablespoon full of grease in the needle bearing. Any more than that and it will work it's way out and onto the friction plate, causing it to slip.

redrooster

The bearings are ok. really didn't notice the seal.it did look like the grease had worked out.

redrooster

I cleaned the bearings with break cleaner and they look good. The grease seal will be replaced as it was very hard. post-12156-139825196988_thumb.jpgShould I use break cleaner on the friction plate?

The sleeve that goes over the engine shaft has grooves on the inside but the engine shaft looks good. Should that sleeve be replaced? Also it looks like the clutch has pushed the drive pulley off the keyway. I'm thinking I need to get a straight edge and align the drive belt when I reinstall the engine. post-12156-139825058964_thumb.jpg

post-12156-139825195263_thumb.jpg

post-12156-139825195563_thumb.jpg

post-12156-139825195821_thumb.jpg

post-12156-139825196662_thumb.jpg

post-12156-139825196816_thumb.jpg

gwest_ca

You want that drive pulley up against the larger OD of the crankshaft because the pressure applied by the clutch is going to push it there anyway. They had a problem with the later CH-Series of engines and had to add a shim or collar behind the pulley to hold it in position. The set screws won't do it on their own.

Garry

redrooster

It looks like the keyway portruding out may have caused the grease seal to not ride on the collar thus letting the grease escape.

tiggercl

Has anyone experienced a 'lip' developing inside the drive pulley of the PTO where the attachment belt sits?

How much of a 'lip' is acceptable?

Paul

redrooster

I don't have any lip on mine.