56flatbed

C145 Eaton 1100 may have a problem.

56flatbed

Someone out there should be able to give me an idea what is going on with my trans.  Start up take off, hydraulics work fine, (oil level is good, I never start without checking eng. & trans oil) start moving, everything is great.  Good power, speed is ok, but after 4 or 5 minutes (good and warmed up) it slows down.  It is not a tremendous drop in speed, but I notice it.  I intentionally put a load on it and ran it up a steep grade that I run all the time, NO problem.  It only slows with engine speed.  Any ideas?  Oil and filter only have about 25 hours on them. :banghead:

boovuc

It "may" be a slow death tranny as in it is bypassing after it warms up and may need a rebuild. You've been around the forum and the tractors to know that a bad hydro will lose power after it warms up and will continue to do so gradually until it isn't usable. However there are a few things I would do first.

I would drain your oil and remove the filter and replace with a good 10w-30 motor oil or a 10w-30 synthetic. Please make sure the filter you use is for a hydrostatic system and not a motor. Also make sure that your tow valve is closed all the way. (I think the C-145 was a Sundstrand).

25 hours on the oil and filter may be enough to cause issues and if you were using it over the winter hard like many of us this pass winter, I would change it out and then compare.

• Like 1

56flatbed

Thanks for the comments.  You know how it is, I really do anticipate a failed trans, but just keep hoping it ain't happening.  I am going to do the oil and filter change and run it until it don't.  I would like to get my 141 painted and back together before I tear down the trans.  We shall see.....

boovuc

Hi Wally.

With that tractor having an Eaton in it, I wouldn't give up on it at all. If in fact it is going south, I would look around your neck of the woods and see if you have a shop that would rebuild it or try to find another 1100 rear end. A Sundstrand is one thing but the 1100 is still supported by Eaton.