tomtractor

Kohler k301 exhaust pipe size

tomtractor

On my tractor there is a jerry rigged exhaust system.  The Kohler k301, 12hp, exhaust outlet starts at 1 and 3/8 inches and is reduced to 1 inch.  Do you think there would be a loss in power due to the wrong 1inch pipe?  Sorry it is a boring topic.  Although modestly interesting?

TT

That sounds like a K-341 if the exhaust port is 1 1/4" (not 1 3/8") and is immediately reduced to 1"

How many head bolts ~ 9 or 10?

tomtractor

TT, you are correct the port pipe is 1 3/8th of an inch.  But with that said would performance be hindered it it was reduced to 1 inch? Also the motor is without question a K301.

Nathanielperz

I am wondering the same thing Tom.

Nate

rmaynard

Maybe the confusion is that a 1" galvanized steel pipe has an OD of 1.32" (1-5/16" +/-)

tomtractor

In my application the pipe I am trying to fit a muffler to has an OD of 1 inch.  

rmaynard

3/4" pipe has an OD of 1.05".

Sound to me like you have a 1" exhaust outlet being reduce to 3/4". Remember, all nominal pipe sizes are inside measurements.

As to the second part of your question, I have always been told that reduction in pipe size can reduce power, not to mention overheat the exhaust valve.

Edited by rmaynard