jeremi3210

gt14 hydro change

jeremi3210

Is it possible to change the piston to gear hydro over to a newer piston to piston version?? My gt14 is a 1969 model and the donor tractor is a c175. the hydro on the c175 has a brake drum.

pfrederi

That is an interesting question.  When hydro gears failed WH had dealers replace them with a Piston to piston setup.  That was before, I believe, they started putting brakes in teh hydros.  Without a lot of research I think the piston hydro motor should connect OK to the hydro gear pump...but I am not sure if you could ever figure out how to use the brake...or if it would interfere with something....

bmsgaffer

As far as I know, you would have to grab the entire transmission (pump an motor) and fab up your own mount, motion control linkage, brake linkage, parking brake, etc etc.

PS: Your C175 would only have the "piston to piston" version if it is a sundstrand hydro which was only made for half of one year on the black hoods. The rest of the years for the black hoods have a different design (Eaton 1100) known as recirculating ball or ball valve or something. They use balls instead of pistons. If the hydro filter is on the right side by the pulley its a sundstrand, left and in back is the eaton.

jeremi3210

The c175 has a sunstrand i dont care if the parking brake works or not it has the pawl inside the case i was wondering if you could just swith the hole hydro.

pfrederi

I was wrong you would have to consider swapping the pump and motor unit together. The mounting to the transaxle seems to be the same.  I am not familiar with GT14 Control linkages but the trunion shaft that comes out of the pump housing (that ultimately all linkages connect to) looks the same, so you might be able to do it....

Edited by pfrederi

jeremi3210

I had thought i read somewhere about a gear that would need to be changed?

pfrederi

You would have to count teeth on the Hydro gear and the piston piston.  Changing gear in the transaxle shouldn't be a big problem as I think the shaft it is on is the same size

Brrly1

Alrighty then, heres what I know. You can change the pumps over from the original pump but you also have to change the gear on the inside. pretty sure I am correct but everyone has there own opinion. This is what has been done to my Dads tractor but I believe I'm going to go back to the original style pump. They say the original is just as strong if Not stronger than the piston to piston. Good Luck

jeremi3210

What are your opinions on converting a hydrogear to 10w30?? The reason i would want to change is my plow frame has hydraulic angle and i want to also use it on my c160, but they run different fluid. Also my gt14 hydro moans alot it doesnt lack power at all dont now if thats normal or not.

Brrly1

Jeremy, they do moan and groan a bit. Ye,s you can change over as far as the fluid goes but you have to be sure to flush out really well. The trans fluid works just as well as the 10w-30 would.

953 nut

You didn't say what problem you are having. Many times the acceleration springs are bad and new ones will bring it back to life.

The Raider, Electro and Chargers would all work, I don't think a "C" will.

I did this type of change out about a year ago, mine were both gear to gear. Do a search on here for Hydro Gear output gear and you will find a tutorial I did on the subject. It was a half day job, but not too involved. You need to change the output gear because they are different to make up for the 15" vs. 12" rear tire size. As far as the moaning goes, I think they all do that. I know mine always has!

Good luck.           :text-goodpost:  

• Like 2

daveoman1966

The GT-14 has Hydrogear 90-2062 which is nearly the same as the other Wheelhorse Hydrogears (Bronco 14 Chargers Electro12)...but NOT quite the same.  The GT-14 hydro drive gear has 11 teeth whereas the others have 13 teeth.     Accordingly, these may (or may not) be interchangeable as some have suggested,although they share the 5-bolt pattern to secure to gearbox.

The Sundstrand piston-piston model 90-1136, 90-1137, or 90-1140 (B and C series) each have a drive gear with 11 teeth, the same as the GT-14.  However, these may not bolt up to the trans case, based upon 4-bolt pattern  & gasket shape.  Another issue is the different hyd hose routings and sizes as well as possible linkage variances. 

See pics here and compare:

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

jeremi3210

Thanks for all the replys i may try to do the swap if i do i will let you all know if it works.