Eric857

k181 startup help

Eric857

hey redsquare! I just put my enigne back together and wired the whole thing up, tried to start it and when i turned the key to the on position the starter generator enguaged and ran then when i turned the key to the start postiojn the tractor would start but to keep it running i had to hold the key in the start position. so i looked at the schematic again, saw my mistake and fixed it, so not the key switch works right but the starter makes a high pitched sound and i can see the pully trying to turn the belt but it cant seem to do it, also the one opr two times i got it to turn the belt i heard some metal on metal rubbing but i dont know were it is coming from, CAN ANYONE HELP ME AT ALL I AM AT A LOSS AND THIS PROJECT IS FOR SCHOOL AND IS DUE ON THE 30th OF APRIL, PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks

rmaynard

Are we talking about the 857 here?

If so, remove the belt going from the starter to the engine. Try the starter with no engine load. Do you hear metal on metal? If not, then try turning the pulley on the flywheel by hand. Does it move freely with no metal on metal noise? Did you have the belt cover on when you heard the sound? Did you check the inside of the cover to see if there were any scrapes where maybe the pulleys or belt was rubbing?

Edited by rmaynard

shorts

X2, I'm a firm believer in turning a fresh engine over by hand a minimum of 2 complete revolutions after everything is hooked up and ready to start before turning the key. You will find it easier to crank the engine by hand if you remove the sparkplug first. feel for any tight spots, look and listen for what's hitting what.