leeave96

Onan Engine - Some Additional Info

leeave96

Everyone,

Some of our garden tractor Brethren on the John Deere section of mytractors forum have put up some postings on the Onan's used on the JD318 model garden tractor (and maybe some other models) and the problems/solutions they have found.  I think some of this stuff is applicable to our Onan powered Wheelhorse tractors.  I posted a link to Redsquare over there and thought I'd do the same here.

I feel the more info on the Onans the better - regardless of tractor color.

Here is the link:  http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=560282

Hopefully this is helpful.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 2

motox25

Thanks for the info, seems the green tractors have the same problems with the rear cylinder as the horses.

seuadr

in reading this - i'm curious.. did wheel horse also have a factory fire wall insulation? i've got some of the Mylar insulation that i could add, if i knew where to add it..

Martin

Just keep in mind the engine position in the jd is entirely different than wheel horse. Not really comparing apples to apples here. The insulation went around the blower housing in the jd to seal to the firewall. On the wheelhorse the blower housing sticks out the side of the tractor.

The heating issue is two different scenarios with air flow through the engine being the only common denominator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin

seuadr

Just keep in mind the engine position in the jd is entirely different than wheel horse. Not really comparing apples to apples here. The insulation went around the blower housing in the jd to seal to the firewall. On the wheelhorse the blower housing sticks out the side of the tractor.

The heating issue is two different scenarios with air flow through the engine being the only common denominator.

fair enough.. are there any common modifications/improvements to the wheel horses that help? i'd wondered about an auxiliary fan under the hood when i'd read that heat can be an issue.

Martin

Use the search function on here, there are many threads on this subject with ideas from members here.....

Just my opinion, but stick a fork in the Onan heat issue discussion on the forum.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk