rustykan

C-120 Front Wheel Bearings

rustykan

O.K., I've started my c-120 restoration and have my first tear down related question. I am going to get the wheels sandblasted and powder coated and I noticed quite a bit of play in the front wheels and figured they needed new bearings. One wheel had bearings and the other had what look like aluminum bushings. Are the bearings still available or is the bushing the replacement? The bearings are "Freeway ASF-0". Thanks in advance for the help.

groundhog47

Here is a post on nearly same you might wish to view: This "posted" is what my C-120 had as well as many others. As stated they have variable price range due to construction type and perceived load. The bushing could be home fab'd or purchased, bearings with flange is factory to best of my knowledge.

Hope this helps!

Edited by groundhog47

rustykan

How do I find the heavier bearings? I found a set of four on Amazon for $6.88, including shipping. I think they were Berliss brand with the following specs: Freeway Flanged Ball Bearing T-34138 3/4" ID x 1-3/8" OD Flanged Item Flanged Freeway Ball Bearing Inside Dia. 3/4" Outside Dia. 1-3/8" Application Light Duty, Lawn Mower Tires Max. Pv 10,000 Temp. Range (F) -65 to 260 D Material Tin

rmaynard

I have gotten my last couple of sets of 110513 bearings off eBay. Lot of choices.

rustykan

How do I know which ones are better? Any suggestions?

rmaynard

Most any bearing is going to serve you for years under normal use and conditions. Only if you are going to be sporting a front-end loader or snow thrower will they be destroyed quicker. You aren't running at highway speeds, only about 6 mph at best. Some are sealed, some open. If they are open, keep them packed with grease. I have taken apart many tractors with the front wheels still having the original bearings.

The bearings that I buy are not made from pressed metal. I use bearings that are machined. Should cost you about $8 to $10 buck for good ones, $4 bucks or so for cheapos.

rustykan

Most any bearing is going to serve you for years under normal use and conditions. Only if you are going to be sporting a front-end loader or snow thrower will they be destroyed quicker. You aren't running at highway speeds, only about 6 mph at best. Some are sealed, some open. If they are open, keep them packed with grease. I have taken apart many tractors with the front wheels still having the original bearings.

The bearings that I buy are not made from pressed metal. I use bearings that are machined. Should cost you about $8 to $10 buck for good ones, $4 bucks or so for cheapos.

Machined would definitely make sense, but none of the ones I've looked at state if they are machined or pressed. Is there a brand to look for?

rmaynard

Several years ago, I got a set from my local John Deere dealer. The part number was AM102605. They cost me about $12 each if I recall. I can't promise that they still have the same quality as they did then, but it may be worth a try.

gwest_ca

Some of the better flanged bearings now have an inner and outer seal. These come pre-lubed and you can not add grease to them. That's OK if you remove the grease fitting from the hub and replace it with a Loctited in set screw so they don't mistakenly get greased. What happens is the grease will not go past the inner seal and the pressure pushes the bearing out of the hub.

The 2nd design has just an outer seal so the grease will go into the bearing and squeeze past the outer seal.

You can see them here at this Stens dealer

http://www.bantasaw.com/

1 seal is part # 215-079

2 seals is part # 215-210

Garry