zieg72

414-8 need more ground speed, suggestions???

zieg72

I probably need to just get used to it but...  I would like to get a little more ground speed mowing in second gear on my 414-8.  2nd gear hi is to slow but 3rd low is to slow and 3rd high is way to fast.  Ideally I'd like to be a little faster in 2nd.  Has anyone went to a smaller transaxle pulley and if so I am looking for suggestions.  Is there smaller pulleys on other WH models that might work for what I am trying to accomplish?

Martin

use a engine pulley from a hydro, also need to change the belt length.........

and later on in that thread.....

Edited by Martin

zieg72

I actually bought a hydro engine pulley from Kelly awhile back for a planned 25 mph hot rod I was planning with an old 416-8 I acquired.  Just need to get the right belt then.  Thanks for the reply

pfrederi

Be aware that the belt guard is also an issue in changing pulley size.  I am trying to speed up my L107.  Finally got the right mix of belt length and pulley size ...but can't shift.  will have to modify the belt guard.

Martin

belt guard isn't an issue with the 3,4,500 series tractors.........

• Like 1

zieg72

I will do a complete write up with pictures and ground speeds using a GPS for those who have interest and make a new thread.

19richie66

Ill be interested to hear how it comes out.Thanks,Richie

sorekiwi

belt guard isn't an issue with the 3,4,500 series tractors.........

Just an additional point on belt guards for the 3,4,500 tractors - Kohler powered (single cyl) tractors use a different belt guard than the Onan powered tractors.  I dont remember which engine has the higher crankshaft, but the belt guard is different to compensate.  Its only about 3/4" difference, but it is useful in some instances.

• Like 1

Martin

Mike, good point, the Onan has the higher crank center line, (or is that centreline?) by 3/4" than the Kohler single, not sure about the twin though? i measured the b and s on the GT1848 and its very close if not the same at the engine end as the Onan, they do differ a little at the hood stand, but i think it wouldn't matter.....

(length between the Onan and B and S looks to be almost the same, but not exact.......) the Onan and Kohler lengths look to be the same.

the Onan belt guard being higher, doesn't really have any more room though, as its just 'pushed' up (top and bottom raised up 3/4) and not stretched in height, so that in itself would be something to look out for.

if you have an 8 speed with the correct belt guard for the tractor/engine combo (and stay with that combo) that wouldn't be an issue if changing to a hydro pulley as there is room for the extra diameter and you aren't moving the crank centerline up or down......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

zieg72

My first cut with the 414-8 with a 48" deck went surprisingly well.  I have decided not to re-gear it as in high grass in 2nd, it bogs the 14hp down to much and I had to go in first a couple of times.  I really like the steering up higher and the seat down low.  It will take longer to cut but it sure sips the gas compared to the 520H,  I know how you all like pictures so here it is...

post-96-0-80498500-1397781234_thumb.jpg

Edited by zieg72
  • Like 2