Sign in to follow this  
Jman6

model number

Jman6

Hi all, been carrying on a thread in engine section. Gotta say it's nice to see so much information available from nice people and a great site like this is available.

Basically just got a 312-8 with kohler engine. Was wondering about something and thought it would fit better here. The manual I have when I bought the unit is for a 91 but after searching for parts it looks like I have a 90. My model number on the machine is a 31-12k801 and I believe the model for the 91 is a 31-12k802.

My question is will this make a difference? Did they make a significant change enough to make a difference on the service manual and all the maintenace?

Thanks, Jman

wh500special

My question is will this make a difference? Did they make a significant change enough to make a difference on the service manual and all the maintenace?

Jman,

They are going to be either identical or so close to identical that you'd never notice the difference. If I remember correctly, kohler had already made the transition from the "k series" engines to the "Magnums" before 1990, so the engine ought to be the same b/ t the two model years. And WH didn't make much of a hobby out of changing their designs so you really should expect that the two tractors are going to be really close if not exactly the same. Sometimes the new model number indicated a change, other times it was mostly just a marker for a new model year.

When you get into a situation where you need to be positive about ordering the right part, enter your tractor's VIN into the Toro parts viewer to verify what you need. For fun you can compare the parts lists of the two VIN's to see if you find any differences. It may just be a decal or something little.

Welcome aboard!

Steve

Duff

Jman,

They are going to be either identical or so close to identical that you'd never notice the difference. If I remember correctly, kohler had already made the transition from the "k series" engines to the "Magnums" before 1990, so the engine ought to be the same b/ t the two model years. And WH didn't make much of a hobby out of changing their designs so you really should expect that the two tractors are going to be really close if not exactly the same. Sometimes the new model number indicated a change, other times it was mostly just a marker for a new model year.

When you get into a situation where you need to be positive about ordering the right part, enter your tractor's VIN into the Toro parts viewer to verify what you need. For fun you can compare the parts lists of the two VIN's to see if you find any differences. It may just be a decal or something little.

Welcome aboard!

Steve

Jman, if it's any indication, I've got an OEM Service Manual for the 300 and 400 series tractors. For almost everything, the parts lists only differentiate between models, not years. In other words, a 310-8 or a 314-8 may take something different (usually something relatively insignficant) than a 312-8, and of course the hydro models are critters unto themselves, but in the Manual the 312-8's appear to all take the same parts. The 400-series tractors do have a number of different parts because they were a slightly heavier-duty machine (I think) with a larger engine. Hope this helps, not confuses things!

Duff :banghead: