SethL1984

Unknown substance on dipstick

SethL1984

Help me out fella's. What is it!?!

I changed the oil about 2 months ago, and now the dipstick has this stuff on it!

gregg'shorses

Condensation/moisture

• Like 1

Sparky

:text-+1:

One of my tractors that doesn't see much use and sometimes just gets fired up so I can move it out of my way has the same issue. If the engine gets nice and hot and is able to be run for awhile (like mowing your yard) it gets rid of the moisture if its not to much. 

You might have to get yours warmed up good and hot, drain and refill with fresh oil to get rid of it. Unfortunately it'll come back from lack of use or short run times.

Mike...........

Jparkes43

yup +1 on that my tractor sometimes has that you just need to give it a good run and it should evaporate away

james 

Fordiesel69

Magnums are terrible for that with the higher CFM flywheel fan.  It is just moisture in the crankcase from the oil not getting up to temp.  It is harmless for tractors in use.  If you are planning to store it, then you should flush and refill with fresh.

SethL1984

Thanks for the help guys. I got a good long burn in yesterday and over half seemed to disappear! 

Jparkes43

Thanks for the help guys. I got a good long burn in yesterday and over half seemed to disappear! 

good 

James 

the_nite_owl

How much use did the tractor have in the month between changing the oil and when you found this problem?  If the tractor was being used and getting hot then that is a lot of moisture to build up fairly quickly and you may want to look and see if you can determine how excess moisture can be getting into the oil.

Normal environmental heating and cooling can cause some condensation to enter from the air but that seems excessive if the tractor had been in use.  Perhaps rain water is finding a way in?

If you have a stack muffeler you might be getting rain down the pipe that is leaking into the head and getting into the oil.

Fordiesel69

Either that or antifreeze might be getting in the oil. :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

Zeek

Wheeww . . . . I was concerned about the "unknown substance on your dipstick"  :scared-eek:  . . . till I saw it was your tractor  :eusa-shifty:

• Like 1

WH nut

Either that or antifreeze might be getting in the oil. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Like maybe a blown head gasket or cracked head :ychain:

• Like 1