curtis20

work horse 700 won't go into gear

curtis20

It just grinds when I try to put it in gear. Any ideas on what clutch parts I need to be looking for?

pfrederi

There are no clutch parts in the traditional sense.  The belt has to stop moving to avoid grinding.  Is your belt guard in place???  I am not sure about 700 series but are there metal tabs at the engine end of the belt guard?  if so they should be bent so they are really close to the belt but not touching it..

curtis20

Yes they are. I played with it some more and got it in.gear and drove around. Its a little easier now but still a little stiff. Could just be because it was made in 69 lol

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Yeah it could be a little gummed up... try spraying some WD40 in there... (IM NEW TO THIS STUFF IF YOU SHOULDNT DO THAT LET ME KNOW)

:tools-hammerdrill:

curtis20

Thanks

Nathanielperz

no prob

pfrederi

Not WD40 I would drain the transmission and see what the oil looked like.  Is it milky looking (Chocolate milk)  if so it has water in it and probably some rust in the transmission.  The best fix is to pull th transmission split it and clean it out thoroughly and check all the bearings for any damage from water/rust.

A quicker fix (though not as good) would be to refill the tranny with some diesel fuel and run it around for few minutes (lightly no hard work) then completely drain it and refill with fresh oil.  My Lawn Ranger has teh same 5053 transmission and has run for 47 years on 2 or maybe 3 tranny oil changes shifts smoothly even in the winter.  WH originally specified 40w motor oil for the tranny.  Over the years they changed to 90w gear oil (or 90-140).  Mine has run just fine on the 40w motor oil and has been in use that entire period I am not changing.

• Like 1

KATO

Is this a new problem ? or is the tractor new to you ?

Did you recently put a new belt on ? maybe its the wrong size

(too short) . :confusion-shrug: Maybe theres too much slop in the belt tensioner

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Im with KATO and Paul.

Change oil, first and foremost. It should smooth out the transmission a lot.

Then check belt size and that the idler/tensioner is moving properly when you hit the pedal.

• Like 1

curtis20

Its just bought the tractor. I'll try changing the fluids first. I work for BG products and they make some cleaner u can run through transmissions. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Thanks guys

stevasaurus

If you just bought the tractor...your problem is the belt and pulleys...not the trans.  Changing the oils is a good idea, but I would see how the oil  is first.  If it is clean, I would not run diesel of something else in there...just drain and put in new.  If you have a cloudy oil coming out...then yes...flushing the trans is in order.  If the belt is old...replace it...clean the pulley grooves on the engine, tension pulley and input trans pulley with mineral spirits.  They are probably just gummed up and need cleaning.  This is an easy fix...if this is the problem...do this and let us know.  Your problem is a sticking belt.  :)

You could wipe the belt very lightly with mineral spirits also...the key word here is lightly...just enough to clean it a little.  This assumes that you have the belt guard on and the tabs are in place.  Leave the trans alone for the moment until we see if this is in fact the problem.  One thing at a time.

You stated that it grinds when trying to put it into gear.  This means the belt has not stopped turning the input pulley on the trans when you push in the clutch.  The belt guard funnels slack from the belt towards the engine pulley when you push in the clutch.  If the pulleys are sticky from setting and/or the belt...these need to be cleaned.  It does not take much to clean them...but use mineral spirits on the pulleys and the belt....lightly on the belt.  If the belt is old...replace it...but you could try wiping it first to see if that helps fixes the problem.  Do the easy stuff first...there is nothing wrong with your trans for the problem you state.  Let us know what you find.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Might consider replacing your shifter boot too, if it's all dry rotted, and cracked. 

Especially if it's stored outdoors, will prevent water from getting into the trans from the top. 

• Like 1

curtis20

Cleaned up the guards and pulleys, it was low on fluid and what fluid it did have was terrible. Rubber boot was in good shape but riding high on the shift so put it back in Its place. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks guys!

• Like 3