matthon

Electric Plow Lift Options

matthon

OK, I have a few ideas to run by the professionals.

I have a 314-8, and my brain was wondering a few things. 

Why is the plow attached to the rear?

If I hit something unexpected, even with the plow springs, I immediately think the axle is going to snap.

Also, it makes an already heavy attachment heavier due to the position of the lift in the middle.

Why not attach the plow to the front?

The JohnnyBucket is attached this way, and I have seen older Ber-Vac snowblowers attached the same, pic below.

By attaching it to the front, doesn't that allow for a greater lift?

ATV plow lifts- I see a Warn with actuators, has anyone put one of these on a WH?

Also, there is also a kit to turn a plow into a bucket, it seems reasonable, and I am sure we have all thought of it- has anyone used one of these on a WH plow?

I know some buy a cheap winch and mount that on the front, and that appears to work well.

Was there ever a WH plow, factory of aftermarket, that attached to any of the attach-matic locations in the front?

When I look at all of these, it appears that the JohnnyBucket is a beefed up version of the bracket and lift arm that attaches a snowblower. Could the WH snowblower pieces be used to attach a plow?

I am a little lost at the moment, as I have a broken tendon from snowplowing, and due to other circumstances little time to be creative.

Finding a hydro is not easy, and most are quite expensive.

I use this plow all year long, for everything and anything, plus it is somehow stress relieving pushing snow and dirt around, but there is no way I can lift this thing up and down over and over and over.

Any input is appreciated.

post-12780-0-98663000-1396892174.jpg

dodgemike

It is funny you mention this as I

have been thinking the same thing.

I put a winch on my C121 /42" plow

several years ago. I have looked

hard at the Johnny Bucket. I have

wanted a FEL and am fairly handy

with a welder. I have the lift yoke

off an old 48" mower deck. Why

not flip it around and mount the

yoke facing forward in the Tach-A

Matic? From an engineering stand

point the brackets maybe a little

weak. But still...

I found a video on you tube where

a guy made his plow into a bucket.

It opened like a clamshell with an

actuator. Too bad it was a green

tractor. Lol. The Ark and Kwik Way

FELs seem to be rare in my area.

In a perfect world I could find a

bigger Horse with a FEL. If I ever

make anything along these lines

I will give you a shout out.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

bmsgaffer

I believe they attached the plow to the rear frame as that is the strongest point for getting the power to the plow. Over simplified physics ahead!

Imagine pushing a large pile of stone: If you attach the plow to the front, the huge force gets transferred into the attachmatic bracket, then frame, then to the tranny mounting bracket (probably the weak link), then back to the wheels on the ground. Because of the way the transmission is mounted, it would a HUGE torsional force on the bracket (which has been known to crack before and should be reinforced anyway).

If you put the blade back on the axle, the force gets transferred through the strong plow frame right back to the axle straight to the wheels on the ground.

Not to say the WH frame couldnt handle it, it probably could. They just chose the even STRONGER method of transferring the force directly from the blade to the wheels. The frame would start to twist and crack at stress points if the force and jolts of the blade was transferred through it all the time.

They do make an electric conversion lift, but honestly I would search for a hydro. I have found two for $600 or less in good running condition.

Which Glenville are you in? You might keep an eye out on craigslist.

Edited by bmsgaffer

Tim

there have been more than a few crapsmen tractors that looked like an accordion when someone slammed into a snow bank, With the plow mounted to the front, all of the weight of the tractor will compress the frame as it comes to a sudden stop

by putting the attachment on the rear does two things;

it takes strain off of the frame

it aids in keeping the plow down when plowing, it doesn't ride over stuff as easy as front mounted

I don't plow for hours so I don't find it that heavy

tiller is way heavier

can whlvr

hers a pic of a homemade johny bucket I made a few years ago,it was on a hydro(c160)and it worked but wasn't that good at digging,for loose material it was ok but it was hard on the machine,i bought a skid steer so I don't use this anymore

009-4.jpg

leeave96

IMHO - the attachment of the front blade to the rear axle is an excellent design. Trust me on this one, not drinking the red cool aid as I have an IH Cub Cadet with a front blade to compare and many years of using my Wheelhorse blade hard.

Firstly, you absolutely won't snap an axle. If you hit an obstacle, the blade has trip springs that let the blade fall forward. I've seen mine tilt forward to almost flat on the ground and the slam back to position with a loud BAM - LOL! Once you've experienced it, you'll remember... ;)

But if you didn't have the trip springs, when you hit an object, expect to go flying across the hood.

I have found the Cub's blade to be heavier to lift, with its pivot point on the front of the tractor, sometimes whatever you are pushing will raise the blade as it doesn't have enough downward force. The Wheelhorse blade, being pivoted at the rear, I have never experienced he blade rising up in the same manner.

The Wheelhorse blade, I find easy to lift compared to the Cub. With the manual lift, you can set the depth if you are spreading gravel and one of the features that leaves the Cub blade in the dust is the blade angle mechanism. The Cub you have to get off the tractor and manually change he blade position, it can be done from the seat on the Wheelhorse.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Cub, but in the blade area, the Wheelhorse is a better design.

Good luck!

Bill

boovuc

You will also find other Garden Tractors used a plow mount that goes to their rear axle. It is an excellent design and it transfers the stresses of plowing to the single most rigid point on the machine.