smokinjoe

1973 18 automatic wheel bearing

smokinjoe

Hi

I am new to the site . I have a 1973 18 automatic with a 550 loader and three point hitch with a roto tiller . My problem started as oil leaking out the right rear axle shaft . I purchased a new seal , but after removing the wheel the axle is sitting on the transaxle housing . I was able to find new bearings. I have never attempted a job like this . I am going to try and remove the complete transaxle this spring, is there a video that shows how to do this or should a repair shop do it ? Was this a common problem ? If the housing is bad where would I find a replacement ? Will a different transaxle swap into this tractor ?

Thanks for the help

Joe

KC9KAS

:WRS:

The manuals section show 4 different model numbers for a 1973 18 automatic.

1-0600, 1-0601, 1-0610, & 1-0620

I don't know what the difference is between the 4 models. Locate your model number and look it up in the manuals to see what you will be faced with.

pfrederi

First do not use it at all until you repair it.

If your axle wears into the housing you will have to replace it. (some vendors here probably have it)

Sounds like your needle bearing has failed. There will be hardened steel needles in you rear end they can do much damage!!! do not move it.

I will not kid you this may not be an easy project.  You will have to remove the transaxle to replace the needle bearing and assess what ever other damage has been done.

Overview:

Remove loader and loader frame

remove rear wheel and hubs D hubs can be very difficult to remove (do you have turning brakes???)

disconnect hydro manifold lines from hydro motor

remove rear pillow bearing on PTO and some 3 pt hitch mounts

remove fenders/seat

remove various linkages

drop transaxle from frame

open transaxle (covered in various manuals)

While you are in there check the inner axle bearings, the parking pawl and the suction screen.

It isn't insurmountable but it will take time and is not something to do in the driveway. 

Several of us have done this and there are several threads here about it and we can offer help....

Edited by pfrederi

smokinjoe

The model number is 1-0601. I looked through the manual section and didn't see a section on how to replace the wheel bearing . Is there a part that I missed ? I have a copy of the wheel hores repair manual for the sundstrand unit .I see the picture of all the parts but nothing specific to replace the wheel bearing. Is the inside of the housing solid to press the bearing into ?

Joe

pfrederi

I sent you a PM but you have to split the transaxle and push the remains of the needle bearing out from the inside and look for collateral damage while you are in there.

"D"- Man

:WRS:

The manuals section show 4 different model numbers for a 1973 18 automatic.

1-0600, 1-0601, 1-0610, & 1-0620

I don't know what the difference is between the 4 models. Locate your model number and look it up in the manuals to see what you will be faced with.

I believe the four different model numbers have to do mainly with the different types of tires and wheel sizes.  The 18 Automatics all had the same Sunstrand Hydro-transmission.   Mark.

post-3038-0-71776300-1396388931_thumb.jp

Edited by TWIN54