IthacaJeff

Deere 952 wagon running gear

IthacaJeff

Hi all;

Been looking around for a big wagon to carry water totes (about 2200 lbs each). A farmer friend

gave me what looks to be a Deere 952 wagon running gear, probably from about 1940 or so.

Very cool. The bolsters on top of the axles are gone, so the "tabs" that attach the axle housing

to the wood stringers are home-made jobs welded on.

Anyway, the wagon was in a very short length -- 8 feet -- and I've lengthened it to 10 feet. My

question is what exactly to do with the set screws on the reach. The reach pole is connected

to each axle frame by a single bolt, but there is also a set screw that seems to have little

function.  Can any of you farmers help me out? A set screw? Really?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ed Kennell

What's a reach pole Jeff..... It's obvious I can't answer your question on the set screws, but I am curious.

IthacaJeff

The reach pole is the center pole that connects the front axle gear to the back. The axle assemblies

can slide closer together or farther apart depending on the size of wagon you want. Sorry I don't

have pics, perhaps when I start the refurbishing.

Jeff

baerpath

usually the reach has a bolt all the way through. Not familiar with the JD running gear you have

I was thinking some of our gears have twist collars that are adjustable. They give the wagon lateral flex they also were adjustable so a wheel could only drop so far into a woodchuck hole so the axle didn't break

Edited by baerpath

6wheeler

In the old days, the reach would have been adjustable. Usually, the reach pole would be 10' long. The bolsters were slid in a foot on each end. That way you could use the same running gear for multiple uses. The running gear would be shortened to 8' to fit a flare box on it for picking corn. Then at haying time, the box was removed and the running gear was stretched out to 10' to put a hay rack on it. Back in those times that running gear probably cost $80 to $100 dollars. Buying it as just a flare box w/ adjustable running gear probably cost about $150 dollars total and then a guy could build the hay rack for $15 to $20 dollars would make sense. They had 2 wagons for less than $175.00. There wasn't a through bolt in that design, only the set screw. The reach had only 4 holes drilled in it on 1 side of the pipe and when it was extended or shortened? The set screws were set in the appropriate holes. Does it have steel spoke wheels on rubber?

IthacaJeff

There is one through bolt on each side (front and rear axle assembly), and a set screw on each

axle assembly toward the middle. So, my question is, do I simply tighten up the set screw against

the reach pole, or do I screw the set screw into a hole in the reach?

The wagon gears are from around 1940 and do not have spoked wheels. Each tire is a different

size (working on finding 4 of the same size), the bolsters are missing, the original stakes have 

been replaced with jerry-rigged/welded angle iron. I'll rebuild the deck and may even paint the

chassis. . . JD green! It is a beauty! 

Jeff