Nathanielperz

Transmission Question

Nathanielperz

Hey guys sorry for making so many posts but i need to ask... God forbid i have to :bow-blue: , but if my hydrostatic transmission on my 1276 is cracked or is unfixable instead of getting another one that could end up having the same problem, could i put a manual transmission on it instead? They seem like they last longer... Is this possible with out making extreme modifications?

Thanks in advance- Nate

953 nut

Having never done this I am not sure, but it should be a direct bolt up. You would also need to change the engine pulley and mount up a clutch/brake set up. Take a look at your frame to see if it has pivot points for the clutch/brake pivot points, if not then all bets are off.

Nathanielperz

Where would those pivot points be?

daveoman1966

Here are two schematics to compare the sheet metal differences to account for between STD and AUTO, generally.

Main difference is the Belt guard and the Hoodstand, as circled.  

This is NOT all encompassing as you'll have other considerations, such as brake/clutch linkage. 

953 nut

If you go to the "Manuals" tab and open the manual for the 1276 1nd 1256 you will see where the Clutch/Brake rod passes through the frame near the top at the rear. It looks like the frame for the 1276 has the same hole in it. Looking at the two exploded views you can see what parts would have to be changed over from the parts tractor. You wouldn't want to just buy a Tranny, you would want a partstractor.

Good luck.

Nathanielperz

Thanks guys but im only going to do that in the hydrostatic isnt fixable! I need all your hopes and prayers that its just an o-ring!  :bow-blue: