leeave96

Wheelhorse Vs IH Cub Cadets - Pulling

leeave96

Asking this on the puller section because I'm pretty sure you folks hammer these old iron trannys to their limit on a regular basis.

How does the stock/unmodified IHCC gear and hydro trannys hold-up/compared to the 8 pinion hydro and gear drive trannys in the Wheelhorse? Does the IH clutch and drive shaft offer any advantage over the Wheelhorse belt drive? I'm speaking of stock trannys and drivetrain, unmodified in any way.

I know a lot of folks assume that the IH Cub Tranny is stronger and more durable because it "looks" very stout, but in every design of anything, there is a weakest link and that is the limit of strength or durability. What are the weak links in both the IH Cub Cadet and Wheelhorse transmissions?

From a home and garden use, I don't think there is any performance or durability advantage, short or long term - at least that's my experience running both brands. From a simplicity and ease of maintenance and repair, IMHO, the Wheelhorse has the advantage.

Please set me straight if I'm off the mark with the above and any light anyone could shed on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Jim_M

In it's stock form I think the wheel horse 8 pinion transmission is stronger but they have a lot higher internal friction. Friction = loss of horsepower. For lawn and garden use that doesn't matter but for pulling it does. When everyone's engines are built to the limit of the rules and a Wheel Horse is losing 1 or 2 horsepower in the transmission and the cub isn't, the cub is going to out pull the Wheel Horse.

The cub's driveshaft is also friction free while the belt drive adds a little more frictional loss to the drive train.

The stock cub clutch won't last long in a puller, the Wheel horse belt is probably actually stronger than a stock cub clutch. But there are lots of aftermarket clutches available  for the cubs for any horsepower range. I've run a Vogel big spline in my single cylinder puller for 3 years and it shows almost no wear. I also have one in my twin cylinder. It's only been in there for one season so I haven't bothered to pull it and inspect it yet.

Just keep in mind that pulling is a game of inches, less than a foot can separate 1st place from 6th place on a good track. Anything you can do put the most power to the ground will be to your benefit.

If you pull in a class that's all belt drives or all 100% stock, go with a Wheel Horse. But if you're pulling with mostly modified cubs you'll be better off to bite the bullet and build a cub.

Ask me how I know....

Edited by Jim_M

Jim_M

I forgot to mention, the weakest link in a stock gear drive cub rear is the coarse spline axle/carrier. you can twist the splines out of the carrier or snap the end off the axle. The fine spline setups from the later hydro rears will bolt right in and are pretty hard to break. I run Dodge Dart carriers and axles in both of mine.

Edited by Jim_M

baerpath

I would  say I haven't seen any reason to run a cub over a WH in the stock classes. 

Used to be we had a bunch of different brands in stocks now only WH and cubs.

Deere Hunter

With both trans being in their stock form, the WH trans would be way stronger. I was running 50-60HP thru the WH trans and never had anything break in the trans. If I would try that with a stock Cub trans with course axles it would break for sure. I have seen 12HP Cubs break the stock axles or carriers. Once you start installing aftermarket parts in the Cub rear they become a very strong piece. Its just like anything else, the more money your put into the better it is going to be.

leeave96

With both trans being in their stock form, the WH trans would be way stronger. I was running 50-60HP thru the WH trans and never had anything break in the trans. If I would try that with a stock Cub trans with course axles it would break for sure. I have seen 12HP Cubs break the stock axles or carriers. Once you start installing aftermarket parts in the Cub rear they become a very strong piece. Its just like anything else, the more money your put into the better it is going to be.

I would assume this is with the 8 pinion - 1-1/8 dia axles configuration - right?

Great info everyone - thanks!!!!!!!!!

baerpath

Yes has to be a 8 pinion for hp. Busted 2 10 pinions in one weekend before we learned.  Only broke I think 4, 8 pinion's since then. Like everything they do have there limits

Deere Hunter

I would assume this is with the 8 pinion - 1-1/8 dia axles configuration - right?

Great info everyone - thanks!!!!!!!!!

Yes 8 pinion and 1-1/8" axles

leeave96

Great info!!!

Thanks again,

Bill

chris11

I broke one of the fine spline carriers in my cub. Till I made my own updated one.

2013-09-20133402_zpsd27cafc7.jpg

2013-09-26113454_zps5e7bb2fc.jpg

2013-09-24214640_zps2e6eb455.jpg

2013-09-26113911_zpsdd945708.jpg

Edited by chris11
  • Like 2

Wheel Horse

wheelhorses are tough on the local cement pull all tractors were stock weelhorses amd some were stretched out but still stock and only 2 tractors werent wheelhorses but they both lost, 1 was a cub and the other was a massey, this puller said you cant break in trannies in them, he said he's been pulling his for almost 13 years on cement and it hasnt broke yet

• Like 1

RMCIII

Chris - nice machine work!

JMO - as Jim stated above, there is more friction with the WH tranny vs. the IHCC. More friction = loss of power. Loss of power = loss of distance. Loss of distance = the difference between 1st place finish or 1st place looser!

Just 1 more item.... Bill, are you looking to set-up a something or is it just general info? JMO also, but if you are looking to just jump in for the fun of it, and not worry about being competative week in and week out, then build the WH. But either way you will have a blast.

Rob

baerpath

Just 1 more item.... Bill, are you looking to set-up a something or is it just general info? JMO also, but if you are looking to just jump in for the fun of it, and not worry about being competative week in and week out, then build the WH. But either way you will have a blast.

Rob

leeave96

Just 1 more item.... Bill, are you looking to set-up a something or is it just general info? JMO also, but if you are looking to just jump in for the fun of it, and not worry about being competative week in and week out, then build the WH. But either way you will have a blast. Rob
I gotta remember that, I'll have to clutch out more often
  • Like 1

octfst

Here's a picture of my 753 pulling tractor.

post-3210-0-10785100-1406339887_thumb.jp

• Like 1

RMCIII

Here's a picture of my 753 pulling tractor.

attachicon.gifIMG_6750.JPG

So, when you are not pulling, it's set-up to supply aux. electrical power for working on the puller. NEAT idea! :ychain:

Wheel Horse

Octfst i heard on Facebook you didnt do as well as you thought it would.  Nice ride,!