stratostar250

PTO clutch and 37" Deck(s) Blades

stratostar250

Hey all :greetings-waveyellow: , I have a quick question about  :wh:  blades and a pto clutch.

For my 211-5, years back, one time, the mower stopped working on me, we took it to a local mower repair place, and they said that the pto clutch was shot, they said a new one was 3-400 bucks so we didn't do anything about it and the tractor was returned to us with no blades on it (which didn't bother me too much, because those blades were absolutely thrashed).  Today, I ran the tractor, and figured why not, and flipped the pto switch, and the pulley DOES still spin (I do NOT have the mower deck on the tractor).  Is this typical? or should it be completely dead? Is it the load of the deck which causes it to not work? I am just curious and honestly don't know too much about this part of the tractor.

Part two: If you guys think that my PTO may still be working, For my 310-8 I have an extra 37" deck that is pretty rotted out, but has good blades.  I was wondering, could I swap the blades from the 37" tach-a-matic deck to the 37" deck on my 211-5 to see if it works and possibly use it? Ill be honest, I haven't checked if the spindles are the same size or anything, but the idea had just popped into my head and I'd thought I'd run it by some people who know more than I do.  Thanks for anybodies input!

:thanks:

gwest_ca

Just looked up the blades for 1986 model 310-8 and 1988 model 211-5 and both use the 109079 2-blade kit for the same year's 37" decks.

Garry

• Like 1

stratostar250

Awesome, thank you! That's great to know that! Will make the getting blades thing much cheaper  :laughing-rofl:

groundhog47

Don't know how long mine ran the way it did but back in 81 or 82 noticed my cut was very poor. PTO was zinging on and looking from seat appeared fat with clutch material. Well, it was metal to metal. Luckily WH was still in business and parts not so high. Just be sure the PTO race and bearing ok as well as bearing on end as well as clutch disc facing, as with no load engaged or disengaged if brake (PTO) is not properly spaced it'll free turn with crank/race  friction.

Edited by groundhog47

Kelly

The electric PTO can be hit and miss, I put one on my little mower a 264 H from a MTD same clutch picked it up used for $25 but yes new they are in $300 range 

stratostar250

The electric PTO can be hit and miss, I put one on my little mower a 264 H from a MTD same clutch picked it up used for $25 but yes new they are in $300 range 

That's a good thing to know, that there are others i can use and not just actual wheel horse ones!