Dieselcowboy

520 click

Dieselcowboy

I have a 520 I have to fix a start problem on. it is a 1990 model. I have a click, click, click when I turn the key to start position. After what seems like hundreds of clicks it will crank. I can jump the solenoid and it starts immediately every time. Can I run a wire straight from the crank spot on the key to the solenoid and fix this problem?

WH nut

First check and make sure you have 12v to the trigger wire on the frame mounted solenoid. The make sure you have 12v going through to the starter

Dieselcowboy

This one has a starter mounted solenoid. I actually tried a frame mounted solenoid last summer with the same results. Then removed it. I will defiantly check the 12v.

ericj

check your little solenoid around the battery. it's little black box with a mounting tab. if i recall it is mounted on the negative side of the battery ( left side ). the relay sometimes goes bad and sometimes it's just the connections to the relay. the 90 models only had 1 relay, then they went to 2 and then 3 about 94 or 95 i believe but don't hold me to it. good luck check your wiring diagram it will show it and then check voltage to and from the relay

eric j 

dbartlett1958
  • I had a similar issue with my 416. It turned out to be a bad connection at the relay, which caused an intermittent issue with me. New connector fixed it.

stevebo

I would also check the ground. Make sure that ground is clean and a good one. I typically connect the ground to the lift point on the motor (head bolt etc).