ckarnes

rear cable lift

ckarnes

been trying to get a tractor of mine ready for its first plow days but having trouble trying to figure out how to get the cable hooked up reliably. I used eyelets to run the cable through then put clamps on the cables but first the clamps kept slipping then the eyelets bent. not sure of a way to sturdy it up. if someone could help me out with some ideas and/or pictures of how others do it it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Like 1

HorseFixer

You may want to try using a Torch and Some Solder to help in the bonding of the two cables. Possibly some epoxy or JB WELD as a secondary fastener chemical along with mechanical fastening. Worth a try.

~Duke :wh:

WH nut

How about a picture of what you are doing.

ckarnes

I simply put the cable through and put two clamps on the cable. I got the clamps to hold now but as you can see I bent the rear eyelet right open

post-2624-0-99829400-1395612809.jpg

post-2624-0-20177000-1395612818.jpg

post-2624-0-06103900-1395612826.jpg

post-2624-0-00512600-1395612834.jpg

post-2624-0-15028100-1395612841.jpg

chazm

The eyelet is too weak for the weight.  I believe there is to be a clevis that attaches to the lift arm and the cable was threaded on to that end.

Heres a post on another idea on a setup  :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseFixer

Yikes!! :eek: That's not what I was thinking you were doing at all! :eusa-think:

• Like 3

squonk

Yikes !! is right. Here is how I hooked up a slot hitch on my 12 /8 spd. I bought 2 5/16" yoke ends from TSC. Then I went to Lowes and bought some cable, crimp ends and cut loose and bought the crimp tool. I crimped on an end ran it through the rear yoke and then through the tube. Slid on the front yoke figured out how long it had to be and crimped that one. Secured the yokes to the hitch and lift with clevis pins and clips.

post-2380-0-31489500-1395615702_thumb.jp

Edited by squonk
  • Like 6

daveoman1966

Seems that no one likes my suggestion, so it is deleted.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Better use 2 cable clamps.

squonk

If I remember right the cable clamp bags say do not use with coated cable

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

Yes I second the problem you are having is bc of the plastic coated cable. Did the same thing with the same results until I stripped the plastic.

876wheelhorse

id get rid of bolt and washer and just use another cable clamp run the cable through the hole the bolts in and fasten it that way. or get 2 more of the chain links with the threaded part in middle put the cable through there and through bolt hole. you have to much room for error. the way you have it eye let has got to go. no way that can handle a 3rd of weight this other way can

MalMac

I might add that you have your cable clamps on upside down. They need to be reversed.

• Like 1

swarfeater

The old saying in never put a saddle on a dead horse.  that means the saddle goes on the cable going to the load, the dead end gets the ubolt, the clamps crush and weaken the cable when installed the wrong way, and slip easier also.

• Like 2

Hodge71
  • Determine the diameter of the steel wire rope. If using coated wore rope, strip the coating off the cable. It will cause the clamps to clamp improperly thus creating a situation where the load could fall and crush/kill/maim anyone under it...

Read the  cable clamp reference guide to determine the number and spacing for the cable clamps. You will need to know the diameter of the steel wire rope prior to reading the reference guide.

• Loosen the two hex nuts of one cable clamp, slide the U-bolt out of the saddle and place the U-bolt onto the dead end of the wire rope. The dead end of the steel wire rope is the end of the wire rope that is cut.

Slide the saddle back onto the U-bolt and hand-tighten the two hex nuts to the threads of the U-bolt.

Place the cable clamp as recommended by the cable clamp reference

Select a socket from the socket set that fits the hex nuts and attach the socket to the click-style torque wrench.

Set the torque on the click-style torque wrench as specified by the cable clamp manufacturer.

Tighten each hex nut until you hear a click from the torque wrench.

Measure the secured cable clamp with the tape measure and place a mark at the distance specified on the cable clamp reference guide with a black marker.

Move the tape measure to the mark and place another mark with the marker to locate the third cable clamp, if required. Repeat the process until you have all the cable clamp locations marked.

Disassemble, mount and tighten each cable clamp as described for the first cable clamp to finish clamping the steel wire rope.

This may help a newbie who is never installed wire rope clamps before.... It not only explains the different parts but it explains how to clamp wire rope properly... While its meant for larger cable and loads..it still holds true for out small cables as well

Edited by hodge71