Sign in to follow this  
Martin

Oil filter wrench for Onan with standard filter.

Martin

Was out shopping with Jeanine tonight and while at walmart and out of boredom, found myself in the auto section. found this oil filter wrench and thought it was worth a try. i have the plastic ones and they are a pain to get between the filter and tin.

this one needed to be 'reshaped' a little to fit the circumference of the oil filter and fit in the small slot that is the Onan tin surround. since this tool is made to suit smaller oil filter circumferences as well it has too much 'curve' to be able to sneak between the small area that the rear tin allows. haven't removed a filter as yet, none needed changing, but will be looking forward to see how it works out. it uses a 3/8 socket drive square.

post-4321-0-64538700-1395539215_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-31144900-1395539238_thumb.jp

reshaped the clamping area.......

post-4321-0-58183300-1395540133_thumb.jp

test fitted on my 416-8 rebuild with tin in place.

post-4321-0-18716800-1395540148_thumb.jp

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Martin,

Looks like that might do the trick :thumbs: Let us know how it works out. Now if we can find a way for no dripping oil all over everything. :bitch:

~Duke

Martin

thanks Duke. I seen that sitting on the shelf and thought id give it a try. I like the idea of what you did with the remote location for the filter. very easy to get to and doesn't look like it would make a mess. i run longer filters on my worker to make it easy to loosen, but they are a pain to get out with the tins in place. 

i guess i just like the 'clean-uncluttered' look of the standard length filter with out any extras or more components in another area......, just don't like dealing with removing tins or jacking around in there to get the filter out. 

Edited by Martin