wfrpalm

875 Wheel A Matic

wfrpalm

Today I picked up a 875 Wheel A Matic and saved it from being scrapped, I don't know anything about these tractors so can anyone point me in the right direction on getting some info. Thanks.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum. Here is a tractor manual

Engine manuals

Garry

Martin

:WRS:

the 875 is a great little tractor. i picked one up a couple years ago. it now belongs to my son, Kent. we spent some time doing a full rebuild on it just recently.....

heres how it looks now.....

post-4321-0-66496600-1395536820_thumb.jp

heres the thread on it 

and a little about when i first picked it up......

got any pics for us?

Edited by Martin
  • Like 4

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

Here is my 875. I paid $80 for mine from a kid at a yard sale!

GEDC0034_zpsa4465333.jpg

GEDC0033_zpscb1cd473.jpg

• Like 2

oaktown1987

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wfrpalm

I am having trouble posting pics but here is the story of how I got the 875. In 1970 my parents moved out to a semi-rural area and our new neighbor had a Wheel Horse tractor that he used too mow and plow snow and I thought it was the coolest thing. He passed away and the family that moved in got the tractor with the house. The daughter got married and took the tractor with her when she left. Last week I was talking to the son, who still lives there, and he was telling me his sister was moving out of state and she was leaving everything behind and he had to get it out before the new owner took over and he mentioned she still had the Wheel Horse and he was going to scrap it with all the other stuff she left. I told him I would help load stuff up if I could have the tractor and that was fine by him, so for a sore back and a tank of gas I have the tractor I first saw when I was 12 years old.

• Like 8

pfrederi

Fantastic !!!

JackC

The 875 has historical significance in that it was the very first wheel horse automatic.

wfrpalm

The 875 has historical significance in that it was the very first wheel horse automatic.

That is nice to know that. I don't have a key and I don't want to cut wires are there any other options?

KC9KAS

Contact Glen Pettit here on Red Square for a key. He is in the vendor section.

DSCN0114.jpg

papaglide

Very nice story and nice tractor. Funny how things work out sometimes! Good luck with her!

wfrpalm

Here is the pic of the 875.

post-12725-0-05892800-1395915840.jpg

dodgemike

Great story. Love the ag tires.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

wfrpalm

I don't have the tractor at my house yet so I can't look at it so forgive me if theses are dumb questions.

Where is the oil drain plug?

Where do you fill the oil?

How do I check the transmission fluid and should I change it?

I ordered a key from Glen and hope to start the tractor next weekend.

boovuc

Go to the download section and try to find your tractor. The short frame tractors are all very similar so if you can't find an 875, look for an 876 or 877. These are Automatic short frames with the same transmission. For engine questions, look at the 865, 866 or 867. These are short frame manual transmission tractors but they have the same engine as your 875. (Kohler 8 horse).

oaktown1987

I love my 875 but tranny mount is cracked

Kelly

Those keys from Glenn are the wrong style, you will need a Hencol key, the head looks like snoopy as my kids call them. 

$_57.JPG

you can buy them on ebay, that is where this pic is from, type in Wheel Horse key 

wfrpalm

I was able to work on the tractor today and the key I got from Glen was the correct key. I am charging the battery that was in it and if it holds I might get this thing started next weekend. I tried to drain the old oil but I couldn't get the drain plug off with the tools I had. It is a stainless cap that is smooth, I don't know if this is origianal but seems out of place with everything else. I don't want to mess with the carb so hopefully nothing is plugged up from the old gas. I am not going to restore and I don't want it to rust anymore, any suggestions?

pfrederi

Pipe wrench or channel lock pliers.

wfrpalm

I got the 875 started with very little work. I installed a new battery, changed the oil, put some new gas in the tank and after a few tries it started and I drove it around. I am not sure when the last time it ran but it was probably a while ago.

• Like 1

zbysiu23

Hi

What type of engine oil did you use???  any secrets or tips for an oil change??

Fordiesel69

My 875 once the engine was rebuilt is quite underpowered for a 32" or 36" gear deck.  You must slow your ground speed quite a bit or the engine falls on its face.

It is still a great unit, but do not be shocked if the engine burns oil or has a rattle.

A mono grade SAE 30 or HD Diesel 15w-40 is very good to use.  I prefer Shell Rotella T1 SAE 30.  It is designed for detroit 2 cycle diesels, and has a heavy detergent pack, with good camshaft antiwear additives.  DO NOT use walmart or dollar store SAE 30 oil.  It will be crap quality.

Fordiesel69

I will also add, that once you fire the engine up, if it is a knocker, do not run it.  Rebuild it.

On the 8HP the connecting rod can begin to hit the camshaft and break it in half.  Cams are getting harder to find.

wfrpalm

I used SAE 30 from O'Rielly auto parts. It doesn't knock or smoke.

oaktown1987

Anyone know where I can get bushings for rear fender and hood and the rubber bumpers for fender anyone ever put a stop so hood don't go down so far