wheeledhorseman

1979 C-121 Auto

Stormin

Interesting pics Ian, particularly the bench with no belt or blade guards, warnings about not using it in a confined space, flammable liquid, ear and eye protection stickers etc - however did people use these things and manage to reach retiring age?

:greetings-waveyellow:

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Another one here still with all limbs n digits too :teasing-neener:

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Slowly the tractor has given up its secrets!

So, with a reasonable belt in place, a useable hub installed on the shaft with the key held in place by JB Weld and the hub further out on the shaft than it should be so that the set screw centered on the key, ready to try out the transmission.

post-4509-0-86037200-1396295936_thumb.jp

Topped up the tranny and found it held ATF - not a problem as they will run with either.

Made sure the push valve was closed.

The Kohler remains reluctant to start even with a reasonable muffler installed but it does run without smoke or the smell of oil being burnt. Pretty sure it's head gasket and or valves need grinding. In the end it started.

Put the motion lever forward - nothing. :confusion-confused:

Backwards nothing :confusion-confused:

Kept trying then suddenly it jumped into forward action and reverse worked as well.

Put the fender & seat back on with engine running as it might not want to start again.

Sat on and pushed the stick forward, nothing, back nothing - in the end it lept into forward action this time. It was like dropping the clutch at full revs on an 8 speed. So this was how the keyways in the hubs and shafts had got so destroyed. Surprisingly the JB repair held for this and several more jolts forwards and backwards as the investigation proceeded.

Once it did decide to go, it would go forwards and backwards perfectly normally, in fact it was as though there was nothing wrong with it so I took it for a bimble. Even the gears in the tranny seem quieter than those in my C-120 Auto with the same transmission.

Discovered if you leave it stationary though for any length of time it's back to square one. In the end it will take off but with a real jolt.

Suddenly dawned on me :techie-idea: why the tractor had lost it's ammeter panel and control lever panel somewhere along the way. Someone obviously checked out the motion control linkage system to no avail and they never went back.

As the Kohler was shaking about on all but non-existant rubber mounts (silly design IMHO) and further jolting into action by the hydro would certainly destroy my temporary shaft repair I called it a day. I did enjoy my little cruise on it though :)

I've tucked it away for now as I must get on and get the servicing done on all the workers as they're already coming out of hybernation to earn their keep.

When I get the odd moment on a rainy day I'll have the head off the Kohler and make some better temporary mounts for it. Get the tractor into the workshop and check the easy things on the tranny like pulling the acceleration valves. Could just be a broken spring in which case I've got some from when I was working on the first D-200 but I'm not hopeful as nine times out of ten when a Sundstrand goes wrong you have to take both the pump and motor apart to inspect all the critical parts as what's actually wrong isn't always easy to diagnose from symptoms.

When I get time for the Kohler or the tranny I'll pick up the thread again.

Andy

meadowfield

If it's pulling wheelies then unlikely to be the pump Andy. On the same note unlikely to be motor either...

I'd go with linkage, a blockage (poor filter or pick up) or as you point out acceleration valves.

Mark

wheeledhorseman

I agree with that Mark, but I know from previous experience not to get over optimistic about any particular potential fix..

It seems like a fluid drain back kind of issue rather than blockage in that once going it works fine. I say 'fine' though not really being able to test it under load or with the tranny hot at this stage.

I doubt it is the acceleration valves unless the tiny bleed hole has blocked in both but a broken spring could account perhaps. Pulling them from the tranny and inspecting is an easy first step. Problem is that low pressure could also be preventing the valves closing caused by wear elsewhere which might explain the drain back feel to it. Second easy(ish) step is to pull the hydro motor for a looksee as the pickup filter, snap ring, and condition of the slippers and plate can all be inspected etc.

I have a slight drain back issue with #2 D-200 if its been stood for a week or so - you have to wait for 30 seconds before it will move but otherwise it can pull my son's boat on its trailer no probs. I really wanted to investigate further with the C-121 i.e. try waiting with the motion control only slightly forward or back, as the major jolt I was getting was probably because the control was full forward or reverse. DEcided to leave it all for another day though as there's other more pressing things to be done.

Andy