Theroundhousernr

MY NEW TO ME 520H

Theroundhousernr

I just bought this tractor earlier this week. It was said to have a bad motor , major leaking, and needed a rebuild. The deck was just rebuilt 2 years ago with all new spindles , paint, blades , and reinforced. I have since fixed the leaking and have her runnin really well for the most part. Just a little miss when revving up to different RPMS. I got the engine back in today and presher washed the tractor. All gauges work and the hydro seams strong as well. Im looking forward to using this beast. It was garage kept all its life except for this winter because the PO bought a zero turn and had no room in the garage. I am glad he sold it , instead of leaving it rust away.  Its safe to say I got an awsome deal considering the shape shes in and the engine now runs. What do you guys think...

ma7y5upy.jpg

qe6y4y3u.jpg

unyta6e3.jpg

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

AMC RULES

Congratulations...

one of my :wh: all time favorites there.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Sparky

Looks nice!

I cant say if you got a good deal or not....don't know what ya shelled out for it. The straight axle and decals make me think its an 89.

Mike..........

JackC

It is a 1988 or 1989.  It looks to be in very nice condition.  One feature that 520H has that others do not is the drive belt idler pulley release.  That takes the tension off the drive belt and will make it easier to move the tractor or start it in cold weather.  It can be a source of rattles so you want to make sure all the parts are solid for that function and if not get the parts as soon as you can before they become no longer available.  That is also the only 520H that you can put the standard plow on without the extension kit needed for the swept front axle versions starting in 1990.  It is also the only 520H with the maroon decals and no sign of the name Toro on the machine even thought Toro did own the company by then. The seat also looks to be in decent condition which is very rare going back that far.

stevebo

I have the same tractor in excellent shape with only 280 hours on the clock. She runs really strong. I recently took off all the "extra" sliding hardware under the seat and installed a new lower seat on just the "c" springs and the ride is much better with a lower center of gravity. Now you just need to change your avitar.... :hide:

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Looks like you got a real nice machine there. Doesn't look like it has been abused. Glad you got ot running right.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

roundhouse,,,looks sweet to me.  Hours & Price.  unless thats a secret,,, :ychain:     Best of luck, I like it.          

Glenn

Theroundhousernr

It was owned by a retired gentlemen. He took top notch care of everything. The seat is flawless except for the binding "not sure what its called" that holds the material on the pan is coming loose. I was hoping I can repair the seat by pulling the material and pushing the binding back on. I agree with the ride being kind of high up. I have some hilly parts and it felt like I was going to roll off the seat. I think I will do something like you mentioned.

Yes , I think its time I change my avatar. I want to put all my horses in a line and snap a photo. Then I will take my john deere down. Its been nice having it up because it reminds me I should pull her out of storage and stretch her wheels. Just havent had time with this new house mess.

The 520h is all original beleive it or not. There is only a few tiny places where the paint has flaked off here and there. Also a dent smack dab in the middle of the headlights. Its funny because it almost looks like it belongs there. I thinks with a good buffing , wax , decals , and repaint the black on the hood, it will turn this into a real nice original tractor. The rear has no grease or oil leaks and looks like the day it rolled out of the factory.

It came on craigslist I think Monday night and I was loading it in the truck on tuesday. At $300 , I knew it wouldnt last long. Hours are a little high, right around 1000. But everything is super tight. Like the hydro release lever, no play at all.

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Since I am new to the Onan p220 engine. Is it pretty obvious if a valve seat lets loose?? If this should ever happen I dont want to right it off as something small and keep using it , rendering the block useless. Anybody have an idea of the symptoms or noises that will happen if this problem should arrive so I can be prepared??

PS the PTO is off because I was making sure the oil leak was gone. I didnt want to tear into it twice.

Thanks Kyle

rexman72

I think this is going to be  great tractor for you

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

kyle, great story and what a price, even with the hours. I am a newbie as you can see but I really like the red horses. you got a beauty.

btw, is that picture of you on the deere, holy smokes is that some darn big machine. Best of luck and dont be a stranger.

Glenn

Martin

Kyle, I'm happy you got it going. it certainly looks like a nice tractor and for what you paid for it, a really good deal. in regards to your ? on the valve seat, while I've never heard one running with a valve seat issue, i would think you would be down on power and it would probably sound like it is missing on one cylinder. compression check would show it too.....

almost no time involved in hooking up a comp gauge to check cylinder compression and compare.

it doesn't that much to pull the heads and decarbon (which you should do anyway) you can check out the valve seats at the same time. do a valve adjustment as well, easy that way.....

plus (if you haven't already), clean out any junk behind the tins. all of this is easiest with the engine off the tractor, but can be done with it in place.

a set of head gaskets and some valve box gaskets and you would have some important preventative maintenance done. these engines are worth a bit of tlc to get them running right and keep them that way.

best place to get valve box and head gaskets would be onanparts.com. the head gaskets 110-3181 run $10 each and the valve box gaskets 110-3709 are $3.95 each

http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_22&products_id=17

http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_22&products_id=24

i kept up with your oil leak thread and I'm happy to see another one saved by just a little work....... :thumbs:

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

312Hydro

Great looking 520H .You might say you paid $300 for the deck and got a free :wh: !

HorseFixer

Fantastic Deal! :thumbs:

~Duke

Theroundhousernr

Thanks alot guys and especially Martin.  I just pulled the motor and cleaned the motor real well with brushes , pipe brush, carb cleaner and air compressor. I then pressured washed all the engine tin off. The Onan decals where like new under all the grease. I then even polished them up because they where in such good shape. I really wanted to run it so I knew I had a good engine before spending more time and money. On top of that , the girl is waiting for me to finish up the house. I will surely take everyones advice and give it a good tune up in a few weeks. This will give me time to order gaskets and what not.

I cant beleive how easy it steers, like it has power steering. I havent heard a twin in a long time, music to my ears. I used to mow with a twin cylinder wheel horse for my moms boyfriend to make some money when i was in high school.

Glenn , Thanks for the comments. I will post some better pictures for you if you would like.

Kyle

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey kyle. Thanks a million. And yes sir I would sure like to see those pics when you have time. One day maybe I will join the good find a 520 deal club to. Lol

Glenn

motox25

That's a great looking 520. Several people, myself included think the drive belt guard has something to do with the onans losing valve seats in the rear cylinder. I am currently running mine without the belt guard and bought a spare one to cut the end off so the engine can cool without any restrictions. Others have drilled holes in the guard. Just a suggestion that might help prevent future valve issues.

Theroundhousernr

Well all I can say is that engine really circulates the air . When I put my hand in front of the exposed cylinder , even at low RPM's , it moves some serious air. However on the rear cylinder , I still feel great air movement but it is really blocked by the guard. I am going to drill holes ASAP. I was also think of cutting a square out of the guard and finding a plastic louvered cover just to be fancy lol.

There is something to say about how its always the rear cylinder valve seat coming loose. I was talking to my local Wheel Horse Dealer and they all say the same about the rear cylinder. So I'm sure it is an air circulation problem and it just a matter of letting it breath. Some say the filter is an issue too. So I will surely be figuring out a fix for the guard.

dodgemike

Great looking tractor. I have a C121

the plow stays on. I really could

use a bigger tractor with a FEL.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Here is a few pictures for you Glenn. Full restoration on this A. Every nut and bolt sand plasted and painted before going back on. All new bearings and pistons in engine. Same for the transmission and rear. Then was painted in new John Deere green paint. I like the new John Deere green. It really pops compared to the classic green.  This was back when I still had time in the day lol. 

Sorry for getting off track....

Hopefully I can get some nice weather next week to take a good wheel horse round up photo for my avatar but it doesnt look like the weather is going to hold out to much longer. MORE SNOW AND COLD. It was so nice today, I pushed the 520H out into the driveway and installed the engine out in the sun.

2_cylinder_cluby_014.jpg

2_cylinder_cluby_013.jpg

Theroundhousernr

Amen on the FEL. That is the next find I am in search of...

motox25

Does your 520 have the rubber air seal around the oil filter? It's a cheap part and it helps airflow to the rear cylinder also.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Kyle....BIG THANK YOU.....what a rig...WOW!!!! thanks for posting.

Glenn

Theroundhousernr

No problem Glenn. I dont get to show her off anymore. So now she just sits in the garage. I have not fired it up in almost 2 1/2 years. All the shows are on the weekends and my job makes it tough for getting time off. Especially in the summer months.

I am going to get it out for a show this year though come H*** or high water!! You can bet I will be at the wheel horse show for the first time too.

I have been skimming through my parts and service manual that came with the 520 and I cant find the part number for the gasket around the oil filter hole. If any one could shed some light on that subject, that would be great. ** Nevermind, I just found your post from last year on this topic**

PS according to the numbers , it is a 1988.

Martin

post-4321-0-04219600-1395544526_thumb.jp

just seen your edit. guess its here for somebody else if needed.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2