slammer302

314-8 fire!!

slammer302

I just got home with a 314-8 and tried to start it up and the two black wires off the ignition switch started smoking and melting I believe the prong is marked G some help would be great

rmaynard

What year is your 314-8?

Edited by rmaynard

slammer302

1996 I believe

slammer302

The only thing I'm seeing with two black wires running to it is the starter solenoid

rmaynard

I'm looking for a wiring diagram.

rmaynard

Both black wires are connected to ground. So your problem is originating on another leg of the switch, In order to have a meltdown such as yours, there has to be a dead short somewhere. Since I have no experience with any of that series, I am going to have to allow someone else to try to help you. The best thing I can tell you until then is to download the demystification guide from the manuals section and look at the wiring diagram for your tractor on page 7-54.

Edited by rmaynard

Martin

First thing I would look at is the switch itself. Replace that if it at all looks suspect. You could have a loose or shorting connection inside it. Replace the damaged wiring (and any other wiring that looks damaged) and then try again. Have a inspection of all wiring and terminals over the whole tractor. this series of tractors are notorious for bad connections due to age and weathering. Eventually you will need to spend more time fixing bad connections, so better to do it as a whole now instead of melting and/or burning more stuff....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slammer302

When I bought it they said it needed a new key switch I had a couple so I put one on and this is what happened

slammer302

I don't think they have ever washed this thing I'm blowing it off now

squonk

Don't know if this helps but on a truck I worked on once the main ground was loose. When someone tried to start it the entire starter circuit grounded through the puny little body ground wires and burned them. On another note, A car with a loose main ground arced at the loose connection and the spark jumped to the clutch cable and burned it in half. Check your main ground cable!!

• Like 1

Kelly

Did you put the right switch in?? the plugs are the same but not all switches are is that a Magnum engine? if so you need a magneto switch, if it's a K series engine you need a batt ign. switch, 

• Like 1

rmaynard

There is supposed to be a 25 amp fuse in the main 12 volt circuit, so if you had a melt-down, I suspect you might find that the fuse has been jumpered.  I don't know how good you are with a meter, but a simple tracing of the circuit is fairly easy.

What Kelly said about having the correct switch is very important. That is why I asked about the year. The 1996 has an M14 engine with a magneto. It requires a different switch than the ones with battery ignition.

• Like 1

WH nut

When I bought it they said it needed a new key switch I had a couple so I put one on and this is what happened

Sounds to me like you used the wrong switch

slammer302

I think you guys are right and the fuse was jumped I'm pulling the wiring harness out and I will go get the right switch monday

slammer302

Im not used to anything this new and the sad part is its not really new

chazm

Slammer- pull the battery & lower dash panel to gain access to the wiring. Look at the harness closely around the steering shaft ... that's where my 314-8 was rubbing at

4c570c2d-eec6-4f35-b1eb-d5841801fc54_zps

You may want to get a new ign switch plug harness as well... :handgestures-thumbupright: 

wiring003_zps729f5a64.jpg

• Like 1

slammer302

Yeah my plug is shot

slammer302

Well I got the harness out fixed any spots that looked bad and bought a ignition switch for magnetos and went ahead and got a new starter solenoid to I'm going to hook it all back up in a little while I will keep u guys posted

slammer302

I ran the numbers its a 1997

hm12460

Always best, when replacing ignition switches, is to pay the money and get the proper oem switch.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Both of these manuals have a wiring diagram

Garry

slammer302

I got it running

slammer302

Runs good and the deck is awesome 48inchs of grass murdering awesomeness

• Like 1

chazm

Lov it when a plan comes together..... :handgestures-thumbupright:      :icecream:

Kelly

glad it was a simple fix