cleat

Cleaning and preserving tire chains

cleat

I mean clean and dry when I am done with them. My shop where the tractor will be for the winter is heated. I will clean and dry them at the end of the season.

They should not see much if any salt.

Cleat

• Like 1

876wheelhorse

Wow I didn't know people did maintenance with there chains mine are either on tractor or hanging lasted for many years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lane Ranger

Just like Bob Maynard said running them all year round on a tractor will keep them in good shape! 

post-339-0-76567500-1394379442_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-14237300-1394379519_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-86187400-1394379777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger

squonk

I can't believe we are up two  and a half pages!  :)  :ychain:

• Like 1

Hodge71

I can't believe we are up two  and a half pages!  :)  :ychain:

Either can I. Never thought anyone would put so much thought and consternation over tire chains. I'd hate to see what happens over something important like an oil change or a tranny fluid change...I can only imagine the long nights worrying over what filter to use...what happens if I use Castrol oil instead of Mobil 1....Oh my ........My Dads on the 12 Automatic are 40 years old and he never did anything to his chains but hang them up after the winter was over. The ones on my boy's Charger 12 are closer to 60 years old and came off my Dad's 1950 Studebaker Lark, we just shortened them to fit the Charger...... They're tire chains...way too much worryin' goin' on here.....Dont sweat the small stuff, they're meant to get used and rust and wear...

• Like 2

varosd

Either can I. Never thought anyone would put so much thought and consternation over tire chains. I'd hate to see what happens over something important like an oil change or a tranny fluid change...I can only imagine the long nights worrying over what filter to use...what happens if I use Castrol oil instead of Mobil 1....Oh my ........My Dads on the 12 Automatic are 40 years old and he never did anything to his chains but hang them up after the winter was over. The ones on my boy's Charger 12 are closer to 60 years old and came off my Dad's 1950 Studebaker Lark, we just shortened them to fit the Charger...... They're tire chains...way too much worryin' goin' on here.....Dont sweat the small stuff, they're meant to get used and rust and wear...

but Jeff, don't we want to talk about simmering them in a secret blend of  warm STP, carnauba wax from Brazil and acetone. remove and gently massage the links with a chamois cloth to a shine then apply 3M $80 a ounce #69 polish.... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

Guy asked an honest question give him a break! :teasing-poke:

My recommendation is to park the rear wheels of the tractor up on a 2x4 or 2x6 to keep the chains up out of the puddle that melts when its parked (mine only rusted when they sat in the puddle). Then wash and hang them up after the season is over.

I run my tractor up and down the street plowing neighbors driveways so they get pretty covered in salty snow and start to rust quick when sitting in a puddle.

AMC RULES

I bet powder coating would keep 'em looking good. 

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Get the rust off like they cleaned chain mail in the olden times:  in a barrel (a five gallon paint bucket works okay) with sand and roll, roll, roll....  Then put them away in some light oil.  I did this once with a very old set that was so rusty that the links hung up on each other and they chewed up my hands when putting them on and it worked great.  And the kids thought it was fun to roll the barrel around.

Of course for the current set of chains for the tractor with the snow thrower I do not bother cleaning them, but that old set did need some remedial work. 

B/R

John

Don1977

With all this Global Warming you shouldn't need them next year! :ychain:

skrusins

you could them cromed