Nathanielperz

kohler k301 idling lower?

Nathanielperz

Hello all... I was wondering how I could get my 301 to idle real real low like those tractors they have in idling contests?

I know how to adjust the idle on the carb but I think the screw is too loose and when ever I try to mess with it, it shakes its self back to where it was...

Please help!

Thanks, Nate

rmaynard

An idle speed lower than 1100 rpm will kill your engine due to poor lubrication. The upper part of the engine gets lubrication from the slinger on the bottom of the connecting rod cap throwing oil up to the top of the crankcase. The engine needs at least 1100 rpm to properly sling the oil.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Bob is absolutely correct here. Please don't kill a good K motor, Kohler don't make them any more.

Nathanielperz

Thank you guys for the warning I appreciate it I never would have guessed that would happen. .. Is 1100 ramps fairly slow? Will it sound slow? How would I test the amount of rps its running?

Thanks Nate

rmaynard

There are several inexpensive rpm checkers available online. 1100 rpm does not sound slow, but it is a quieter sound than 3600 which is the speed that the K-series engines are designed to run while operating normally.

Nathanielperz

ok thank you...I was going to enter a contest but I will just leave in alone. I might do some pulls though...

Thanks, Nate

Fordiesel69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBv2ehPO5p4

Getting your idle close to the first part of this video will be close enough.  It does not have to be exact, and if a tad high there will be no problems.

If too low RPM, the cam, valve train, and cylinder will not be lubricated properly. 

If you want to do a test once warm to see how low it will go before stalling, then fine, there will probably not be any harm as long as you do it quickly.  I would limit this to 1 minute max.  There will be oil film on everything, and there will still be hot vapors.  Just don't make it a habit each time a friend comes over and wants to see.  :angry-nono:

Nathanielperz

OK thank you