keith servin

1998 Wheel Horse 520xi

keith servin

Hey Gang-I'm looking at a 1998 520 xi from a dealer in Owatonna Minnesota-I need to retire my 1969 electro 12, Anyway dealers says it was taken on trade from a fellow he knows that lives in town with an average size yard-It looks in rerally good shape bur the hour meter isnt functioning?  Comes with a 54"deck/ bagging system and the 44" 2 stage blower-he wants $3300 for and says he'll toss in the wheel weights and 2' spread chains for another $190-does this sound reasonable? he said they were 10k new-  What do u think

daveoman1966

Last fall, a friend of mine was looking for a 520-H to replace his 520Xi that he owned for a few years.  It seems that he wanted to 'upgrade' and I was sympathetic to his wants, but couldn't help him.  He was dismayed ... maybe disappointed is a better word... that the 520Xi didn't perform to his 'expectations'.  So, a word to the wise......   

Jim_M

I wonder what the guy was expecting from it? I have a 520Xi with the 52" deck and I love it.

Edited by Jim_M
  • Like 3

Forest Road

I have a 520xi w power steering and a loader. It's got over 1000 hours and performs flawlessly. If this one is in perfect condition I'd say go for it. Still love my 314h and all my accessories. But the old tried and true lil red tractors don't hold a candle to an Xi. Good luck

• Like 2

Cutlas3391

I paid $2000 for a 1997 520h with just the deck but the machine was mint and had under 200 hours. The nice thing 520xi comes with all the attachments so I would toss 3000 cash on the table and see what he says. Or 2500 cash and your old wheel horse trade for the 520xi. I think the price is fair since there hard to come by.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Kelly

I'd offer $3000 with the extras, I don't have a XI but I hear they are nice machines

Hodge71

Ive never heard of any XI series falling short in any way. I personally never was a huge fan of them because of the lack of interchangeability with the earlier horses. That was until I drove a 523XI 2 years ago. I should have never left that tractor get away from me. It was for sale at a local dealer that took it in on trade for a 30 horse 4x4 Kubota compact utility tractor/loader. The 523 came with a snowplow which looked much bigger than a 48", 44" 2 stage blower, 52" deck and powered rear bagging system that dumped on its own. The power steering was amazing and a quick trip around the lot had me in love with the 2 speed rear end. For 4 thousand I thought it was a bit steep and I didn't pull the trigger. He told me he could come down to $3500 and I waited 3 days to get back to him. SOLD when I called him…my stupid ideas..

• Like 1

rexman72

XI is a mean machine

JackC

I have always heard good things about them.   I like the idea of the LXI version with the liquid cooled Kawasaki.

I have a few 520H tractors and two D-160s.  My plan for the next move up will be a 4 wheel drive unit with a bucket loader.

Jim_M

Some years of the liquid cooled Kawasaki engines had problems keeping the head gaskets sealed and some years had ignition module problems. I can't remember off hand which years were the problem years.

Snowmobileaddict

What does the tractor look like?  I understand the meter is not working, but does it look clean?  I'll echo what others have said about the Kawasaki liquid 20 being a potential liability.  Kohler Commands are fabulous engines in any flavor though.

I can't remember if all the 520xi's came with power steering, if this one does and its in good shape, I would jump on it.  Pretty sure yours will have a 52" deck, they didn't make a 54".

I own a 522xi and have the dump from seat bagger and a 52" deck.  I used to have the 42" SS snowthrower attachment as well, but it was overkill for what I have to clear, so I sold that attachment off. 

The 52" mower does a very nice job, and the leaf vac attachment has proven invaluable in the fall.  Those dump from seat baggers are very rare.  I drove quite a qways to score mine from an implement dealer in Iowa.  He separated it from a machine he had in his inventory and sold it to me.

If yours has the same bagger I am running (pic below) its the rare one.

bcb1ffb7.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 2

Hodge71

What does the tractor look like?  I understand the meter is not working, but does it look clean?  I'll echo what others have said about the Kawasaki liquid 20 being a potential liability.  Kohler Commands are fabulous engines in any flavor though.

I can't remember if all the 520xi's came with power steering, if this one does and its in good shape, I would jump on it.  Pretty sure yours will have a 52" deck, they didn't make a 54".

I own a 522xi and have the dump from seat bagger and a 52" deck.  I used to have the 42" SS snowthrower attachment as well, but it was overkill for what I have to clear, so I sold that attachment off. 

The 52" mower does a very nice job, and the leaf vac attachment has proven invaluable in the fall.  Those dump from seat baggers are very rare.  I drove quite a qways to score mine from an implement dealer in Iowa.  He separated it from a machine he had in his inventory and sold it to me.

If yours has the same bagger I am running (pic below) its the rare one.

bcb1ffb7.jpg

Gorgeous Machine!!!

• Like 1

js5020

Wow that is a sweet lookin machine.

leeave96

Hey Gang-I'm looking at a 1998 520 xi from a dealer in Owatonna Minnesota-I need to retire my 1969 electro 12, Anyway dealers says it was taken on trade from a fellow he knows that lives in town with an average size yard-It looks in rerally good shape bur the hour meter isnt functioning? Comes with a 54"deck/ bagging system and the 44" 2 stage blower-he wants $3300 for and says he'll toss in the wheel weights and 2' spread chains for another $190-does this sound reasonable? he said they were 10k new- What do u think

Sounds like a very nice package. Try to get him down on the price if you can. How many hours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowmobileaddict

Thanks for the compiments!

I agree, see if you can get it for $3K out the door tax and everything.

I paid $2K out the door at a dealer for my 2003 522xi with power steering and the 52" deck, mine had 150 Hours.

I found the bagger and scored that for $600

The 44" 2 stage snow thrower will go for anywhere from $500 to $800, sometimes more on the eastern seaboard.

2143164b.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

Jim_M

There's a 1998 518Xi on eBay in PA that comes with the same equipment as the 520 you're looking at. It's in the 500 hour range. The Buy it now price is $3500.00. Worst case, if he won't won't budge off the the $3300, get him to throw in the weights and chains.

How many hours were on the meter before it quit working? The hours being unknown would be my only concern.

cheesegrader

Price seems a little high.

There is one on craigslist in Dekalb at a dealer for $2200.

Cab and plow included, but no blower or mower.

Jim_M

Price seems a little high.

There is one on craigslist in Dekalb at a dealer for $2200.

Cab and plow included, but no blower or mower.

By the time you buy the deck, bagger and blower you would easily be at or over $3300 though.

• Like 2

Brrly1

Love it!!! One snow pushin' beast!! No complaints here, I say go for it!

papaglide

Man, I would really like to own one of these machines. Pull the trigger man!

Cutlas3391

Papaglide we had on on are local craiglist last summer 500 needed work though. It had a small fire.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

papaglide

Cutlas, I remember that one. My local dealer had one last summer as well. I saw it on a Sunday. I stopped by after work on Monday afternoon and guess what? It was already sold!

• Like 1

bigfkd22

Personally I think the price is a little high unless it has power steering. I have a 520xi and a 522xi and there is huge difference with the steering. I have my 2 stage on the 522xi and it's so easy to use. I've had a tall shoot single a short shoot single the old 2 stage bercomac and there is no comparison the the 522xi wins hands down. All IMHO of coarse.

It's hard to find a really good deal and it's harder still when you "need" a tractor. However as I think Kelly can attest as my collection grows they start to "fall in your lap" a little. Good luck!

hm12460

Doesn't matter what any of us think. Is it worth it to you? Thats the issue! Personally, I think it is a good deal with all the attachments, if you have a use for them. Let us know what you decide. Don't think it will last long on the dealer's lot.

• Like 1

kiu

Hi all,
I just bought a 523dxi. The first impression is really good. It came with a dump from seat bagger that can be seen on the images above.  However, I just can't figure out the belt configuration to get it going. Also I couldn't find any documentation on this bagger. The main drive is already connected to the cutting unit which has no "output".  Can anyone help me out with some info about this? Thank you!

I was also wondering wether I always have to switch belts (and remove the cutter) if I want to use the broom or if I'm missing something....

To give some input on the pricing discussion: I paid about 2000$, 300 hours on the clock, came with hydraulic broom, snow shield, mower and the bagger mentioned above.

Best,
-martin

Edited by kiu