KC9KAS

B & S Service & Parts Manual

KC9KAS

I recently picked up a B & S service and parts book from a fellow that used to work on small engines.

Although most of the information only goes back to the middle 80's I did find somthing I found very interestion.

A B & S service bulletin #367 and dated 5/10/60 explains that the factory has received several engines that had premature failure.

The engines had been on snow plows and the engines had been run with the choke mostly closed resulting in fouling of the spark plug.

The spark plugs were removed and cleaned in a spark plug "blaster" with abrasive material. The plugs were then cleaned with compressed air, re-gapped, installed and used.

The engine failure was from small particles of the abrasive material still on the spark plugs and ending up scoring the cylinder walls and the crankpin journal.

B & S repair shops were instructed to NOT use the abrasive blasters and to clean the plugs with solvent only.

I was thinking, just throw the plug away and replace it...duhhhh

In 1965 a gallon of gas cost $0.31 so a spark plug was probably $0.50 or less, but the income was only $7500 so that is why people cleaned and re-used their spark plugs!

Man I must be bored to be reading a repair manual for NOTHING I even own!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Yeah, but...look how much you've learned...

and shared with us here on :rs: .  

Edited by AMC RULES

Ed Kennell

Yep, I worked at an EXXON station for $2.00/hr in 1963.  I sand blasted a lot of plugs on a plug cleaning machine.  The plugs screwed up from the bottom into a plate so the  threads were protected then blaster clean from above.  I also remember the air cleaner tester.   It just used a light bulb to compare the amount of light passing thru a new vs an old filter.  

The good ole simple days. :)