pacer

C-175 questions/advice

pacer

A little background here -- Another member here (Groundhog) and I have been picking the neglected remains of a deceased WH dealer in a nearby town. (Thats where the pretty little C-100 came from that I have listed in classified.) On a previous trip I had noticed that one of the 10 or 12 partially complete tractors was a C-175 8 speed that had had the 8 speed robbed from it but other wise was pretty good. OK, so a couple weeks ago I see another C-175 auto on CL that was listed as non runner, "just needs the coil replaced" This tractor seemed complete with a 48" deck connected - for $250. Hey!, if I can get that trany-less 175 and then get the auto too I oughta be good :woohoo:

So off we go to the old dealers pickings and I quickly make a deal on the 175 for $75. I get back and immediately contact the CL listing for the auto and make arrangements to see it about 125 miles away. Tractor looks complete, little to no rust tires decent and holding air, etc and a gray painted Kohler twin in it (replacement engine???) engine would rotate about 1/2 to 3/4 turn with effort trying to turn with dirty rusted belts and nothing to get hold of, I already know its a gamble so have to be satisfied with that -- No bickering on price because "all it needs is the coil" I bring it home... $325 for two decent looking C-175s - I'm feeling pretty good.

Well, you can probably see where this is going -- was planning to take the coil off the one and try it on other so I get the sticky belts off and remove the flywheel screen to be able to rotate engine with a ratchet ......... guess what? yep it apparently has the dreaded K-175 series 1 malady. Looking in the spark plug hole I can see stuff moving around in the front cyl. The other 175 turns freely with a bit of compression...

So, my questions are, I want the auto (and I dont have a tranny on the other) is there any way to get an idea if the Eaton auto is any good? without the engine driving it? The tractor rolls as freely as a tranny one would, is there a bypass on the Eatons and it would it be engaged, or do they just roll freely?(unlike the Sunstrand). Do I see if the other engine will function and change out the engines? Will the Eaton go in the 8 speed without much hassle? Probably more question, but you can probably see what my choices are - in this long-winded post.

Am working on a sale for my C-100 and the 1054 I have listed so I needed another project, but I dont think I wanted to go THIS far!! :eek:

The auto C-175 on the trailer at the sellers - in the bandana, and groundhog about to head home and the other one with out the tranny.

post-9681-0-05961600-1392917126.jpg

post-9681-0-45765000-1392917385.jpg

leeave96

IMHO - it would be unlikely that the Eaton (or Sunstrand) would be bad.  As much as we love these Kohler engines and as durable at they are - it's funny that in some ways the engine is the weak link on a Wheelhorse tractor.  It just takes about 20 years to destroy the weak link... ;)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If you can you get the trans you want to test up on jackstands, pull the drive side tire.

Then use a long belt, and another tractor to check it out first.