Pollack Pete

What Tractor to Mount 44" 2 Stage

Pollack Pete

After the last 2 storms we had in Yukon upstate NY,I went searching for another 44 inch 2 stage snowblower to use as a back-up for my other one that's mounted on a 416H.Got one yesterday.Just looking for some opinions as to which of my Horses to mount it on.Choice # 1,I've got a very beat looking 520H that I had running about 2 yrs ago.Last time I tried to start it,the battery was low and the starter and or flywheel ring gear started to make a loud snapping sound.Too afraid to investigate at that time so I pushed it in the other corner of my shop.Choice # 2 is a C175 that runs OK,but someone painted most of it flat black so it looks like it had been in a fire.It also hasn't been run in a couple years.3rd choice is a really clean looking C145 that has had the hydraulic control valve surgically removed( cut hoses ).I have a new,used valve and hoses sitting on the seat.Just has to be installed.All three tractors are hydros, and have hydraulic lifts,of course.Which one would you guys use?Would the C145 handle the 2 stage OK? I know my 416H is a bear in the snow. Real gas hog with that Onan twin.

MalMac

Even though the C-145 is a very strong tractor, the 2 stage was designed for the 20hp. I know others have used less horse but for the 2 stage to really function right it needs that big horse. On the 14 hp you will loose a little to the hydro so your behind on horse before you ever engage the PTO. Same can be said for any hydro, it's just you need all the HP's you can get.

520HC

Yeah I don't think the C-145 will run it like it should be ran. Even the C-175 would be short HP. I have a single stage on a 418C and I can easily overload it in real snow.

cleat

I had a 2 stage blower (I think around 42") on my Ford LGT165 which is a 16 HP Kohler single with hydro drive. Tractor simply did not have the HP to run the blower so I sold it. My neighbour has the same tractor with a single stage blower and would easily out do me.

My 520 has the 2 stage blower but I have not used it yet as it is in the midst of a restoration.

Cleat

Hodge71

Correct me if Im wrong but didn't Duke have a 2 stage hangin off the snoot of a c-120 as the original snowchucker and he did fine with it?  :confusion-confused:

leeave96

My choice would be the 520H for the power and gear reduction steering - if it has it. Next would be the C175 and lastly the C145.

rexman72

had a 19hp tractor that had a two stage blower and really did a great job.

boovuc

The C-175 will handle the 2-Stage Blower. (If it's a Series I motor, it has to be flat)! No hills!

daveoman1966

I had a 2-stage on a C-160 auto and it struggled to keep the blower running at a high rpm, which is where it wants to be.  Also got stuck with it when trying to backup, even with 150lb wheel weights.  The two-stage blower wants at least 20hp twin cyl engine...use the 520h for BEST  results...always tempered with....  "IMHO".

smoreau

You need to mount that snow chucker on my 417A!! :ychain:

I will make sure it all works the way it should and give it back to you in the spring :hide:

Ok your c175 would be a good choice, but as you know with your other one the 520 is unstoppable compared to the smaller tractors. 

cheesegrader

If you run the 2-stage on the 520,

The entire membership of OPEC will stand and applaud each and every time you fire it up.

Talk about a "Gas Hog"!

• Like 2

ericj

i just took my 520 down to my brothers on Sunday and blew a minimum of 18" of snow and it is absolutely a snow eating machine. i cleared a 16 to 20 ft wide path up a slight hill and then tee'd off and cleared a 30 or 40 ft wide area so he could bring his restored 71 dodge charger home from the philly auto show and get it back into the shed. i think he was quite amazed how fast i got it done. then i blew a path up behind his house and over to the barn so he could get his 94 416-8 with the plow out of the barn and did it all on a little over a tank of fuel. pretty cheap for all the snow that got moved

eric j  

cumminscook

If the c-145 and the c-175 is a black hood don't think it will work I tried to put one on my buddys c-145 and the hood seems to long but I my be wrong never put one before.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

pollack pete, cant answer your question as asked. I am still very new to wheel horse and wet behind the ears. The comments perked my interest as one day I would like to own one of those big, bad azz 2 stage snowblowers myself. My property warrents its use. To tell you the truth, this year, my first with wheel horse has been, not good, but GREAT! My 416-8 with the single stage, short chute snow thrower has been superb Minus the flaw of driver error in breaking it once. That being said pete, good luck, and hey,,,,arent you big into the GT 14s as well?  I will be keeping a eye out for a 520 for winter use.

dubja panya,,,,,

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

baerpath

If the c-145 and the c-175 is a black hood don't think it will work I tried to put one on my buddys c-145 and the hood seems to long but I my be wrong never put one before.

Your right when lifted it hits the hood. You could change the hood and steering top section out easily though

WH nut

I vote on the tractor that you can get up and running in the shortest amount of time. Work out the minor details when its warm and sunny.

• Like 1

Ken B

Hey Pete, believe it or not a few days ago I was wondering where the Hell you went! Haven't seen you here in a while...

After having some fun with Stevebo's 520 with a two stage Bervac on it this past weekend I decided to start looking for a blower myself. I was thinking of picking up a 2 stage blower for my 417-8. I decided if I do get one I want the Bervac 38 inch job. My 417 runs super strong but with just about 2000 hrs. on the clock I don't want too push her too hard and have her blow apart on me. If I were you I'd try to get that 520 up and going, The extra nut you get outta that Onan is what you'll need with that 44 incher...

Red-Bovine

We have the 44" two stage blower on our 1992 520H. An incredible snow moving machine. We used it to blow the snow off our grass runway in winter and our long driveway. The 520H is now powered by a Honda GX630 (Onan became too troublesome with the valve seats) and it is still just as awesome. We have the wheel weights and chains on it, but could use some additional weight on the rear if the conditions get icey under the snow. Thinking about adding that hitch receiver and a few suitcase weights.

Red

cumminscook

Your right when lifted it hits the hood. You could change the hood and steering top section out easily though

I thought so thanks Baerpath

Pollack Pete

Hey Pete, believe it or not a few days ago I was wondering where the Hell you went! Haven't seen you here in a while...

Hi Ken.I've been around.Just not on here too much.Got back into the hot rod hobby plus got interested in late 70's early 80's pinball machines.Really didn't need more hobby stuff,but,what the heck? Still love the little red tractors though.Thanks for asking.

Save Old Iron

a 2 stage hangin off the snoot of a c-120   :confusion-confused:

better make sure that "little engine that could" has a well fitted con rod

or you'll have a new bedtime story for your grandkids

boovuc

Well all righty then!

I never knew the Blackhoods couldn't take the 2-stage. I saw an all black 2 stage Berco on a C-175 that our local country club used to clear snow from their parking lot walkways and it worked real well. (I wonder if that tractor is still in one of their old garages/sheds). Mmmmmmm

baerpath

Berco sets differently than the WH 2 stage. I would rather have the Berco 46 inch over the WH 44

JackC

The ONANs have more torque than the Kohlers and are hands down the better engines for driving the two stage blowers.  The 520H is the best choice.  It is not doing you any good sitting in the corner.   Put a new battery in it, clean up the starter issue, clean the carburetor and it will blow snow like hell won't wont have it.

You are missing out on a lot of good seat time.

• Like 1

leeave96

The ONANs have more torque than the Kohlers and are hands down the better engines for driving the two stage blowers.  The 520H is the best choice.  It is not doing you any good sitting in the corner.   Put a new battery in it, clean up the starter issue, clean the carburetor and it will blow snow like hell won't wont have it.

You are missing out on a lot of good seat time.

:ROTF: