Sign in to follow this  
dandan111

Robbin Subaru 7.5hp

dandan111

I fear my tecumseh will die one day. I ran across this engine off a generator that looks real clean. It looks like it has a 1inch tapper shaft. Can that tapper be cut off? It looks like a step shaft also. Should I keep looking? Looks like a real low hour engine for $45

dandan111

Picture

post-2453-0-25243400-1392311945_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

The taper can be cut off no problem but the issue is what size is the remaining shaft.  What tractor is this going onto?  Are you planning on using the PTO or will you leave it off? 

The reason I ask is that it may be an issue to reattach the PTO and have it function properly without building an adapter or having the crank shaft machined.

dandan111

My tractor is a 654 with a h60 tecumseh. I mow and plow with it,no snow blowing. The Robbin looks like it has no key shaft tapper and a step. I think the largest part of that shaft is 1 inch.

SousaKerry

Well unless you have access to a machine shop I don't think I would waste my time.  I have sleeved a few shafts but you really need a keyway to start with.  Unless you want to take the crank out of the engine to turn it down on a lathe press on a sleeve and pin it, or cut a keyway in a mill there isn't much you can do. 

I am fortunate that as long as it is after hours I have access to a full machine shop at work, if you don't then the machine work would cost more then getting a Harbor Freight motor or waiting for another with the right shaft to come along.

WH nut

I wouldn't think so, you would still need to lock it to the tapper some how. You could have a machine shop turn out a shaft with the inside tapper and 1 inch

dandan111

Could you grind a key way in to lock the sleeve in place? Locking the pulley on would be the next problem.

WH nut

You would never grind it straight by hand

If you are just wanting to rig it, weld it on

Edited by WH nut

illinilefttackle

If you watch for a sale- you can get a brand new 6.5 hp Predator engine from harbor feight for $99 or less. A few bucks more, you can get a 24 month complete replacement warranty. My tecky died while I had my 656 for sale- guy that bought it had me put the Harbor Freight engine on it- really easy- use shim on crank like one from ebay- original pulley- plate for bottom of engine- these things start on one pull! Good luck-Al

DSC04405.jpg

IMG_20130215_212840.jpg

656plate.jpg

can whlvr

you also have to see if the genny motor has the proper bearing on the pulley side,alot of motors that don't have a pulley on the side have weak bearings,i believe its called a thrust bearing,which it may not have becayse no side load was being put on it being mated directly to the power head