mbehan

Transmission problem with my 312A

mbehan

I'm new to the forum and have a WH 312A with the automatic Eaton #7 uni-drive transaxle. I was using the snow-blower this week when the tractor stopped moving. You could hand push it backwards but not forwards. I had it towed to a local repair place here in Holmdel, NJ and they feel that it's some kind of internal failure in the transaxle assembly part #111265. They feel that it may not be worth the repair effort as even after a few labor hours of dis-assembly that the parts may not be available? I have had the tractor for many years and I use it for snow removal and for lawn mowing so it would be a big expense for me to lose this great tractor, as I'm retired on a fixed income. I was wondering if any of the forum members would have any advice regarding my situation with respect to repair or not to repair?

pfrederi

Transaxle parts are not hard to get .  There are several thread here about overhauling the trans axles.  Tours is simpler than the 3 and 8 speed as all you have is a reduction gear and a differential.  When you get it back jack up teh rear end and try turning one wheel...what does the other one do?

Kelly

The eaton 700 is a light duty trans, they are know for failures, not sure what the part no is you listed, but I have a Eaton 700 here with a bad pump, I will sell parts out of the trans if I know what it is you need, send me a message, for more details.  

can whlvr

I would convert it to the 1100,much better setup

mbehan

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. Kelly, the guy at the shop gave me that part number and said it was for the transaxle assembly. I don't have the set-up or I'm not sure I'm capable of doing a change out myself. I was thinking that I may be better off selling this tractor for parts and picking up another used one. I would have to get one that I could also utilize my snow blower and lawn mower attachments. Is there much of a demand for parts and are there used tractors occasionally for sale?