bionicfisherman

C-145 hydro whine

bionicfisherman

I have what sounds like a power steering pump whine coming from my tractor at all times when I engage my transmission, its been this way for as long as i have owed it. (3+ years) I have noticed it has a weak reverse, as in it has an issue backing itself up small hills with no load or attachement hooked up but its fine on flat ground. In forward its not as noticeable but if i tow or hook up to a log, trailer ect. thats to heavy it will chatter rather then spin tires. But the same load or log my neighbors 518h? will pull just fine or spin tires trying.  Fluid is full, filter is oem. Weak pump? Other then that it drives just fine and lift implements without a problem. 

squonk

I had similar issues with my C-145. sounds like you need to change the hydro section (pump motor assembly) Replace your fluid with Mobil 1 also. And  :WRS: we might get that NYS Meet & Greet yet!

Edited by squonk

daveoman1966

Does the C-145 have an Eaton 1100 or a Sundstrand Hydro (90-1173 or 90-1137). 

bmsgaffer

Does the C-145 have an Eaton 1100 or a Sundstrand Hydro (90-1173 or 90-1137). 

Depends on the year. at least as far as the C-165's were concerned in 1980 they offered both. I am assuming the same for the rest of the autos. Post 1980 its all Eaton.

squonk

My 145 was the Eaton

bionicfisherman

Top of my head idk. Would have to look tomorrow. But I want to say eaton.

Kelly

I've had black hoods with both types of trans, if looking from the rear the oil filter is on the left side over the axle it's a Eaton, if the filter is on the right side in front of the axle its a sunstrand, and yes it sounds like a weak pump, I have a 520 here with only 400 hours on it and I even changed the oil and filter using Mobil 1 oil, still slow and whines all the time and alot when lifting the blower. 

bionicfisherman

If left is eaton, thats what she is. Last time I got a part for it they said it was a 1981. So is it fixable? Parts still available for a rebuild or do I neen to find a good used one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

squonk

I got lucky and got a complete trans at the show last year. I see pumps on e bay all the time.

bionicfisherman

I would like to rebuild it if parts are still available. but before i do that i have to deal with my new problem. motor was skipping last night while snow blowing so i decided to do a quick carb clean and point gap check. needless to say it stopped skipping but after adjusting the points it developed a knock it never had before. plus on top of that  i did a quick once over and found a nice drip coming from a hose in the rear.

Kelly

The knock might be you got it out of time, that can make it spark knock, reset the points and see if it goes away

bionicfisherman

Ill look into that tonight. I hope that's all it is because it didnt have it before I played with the pionts. I know its a little bit tired being 30+ years old but not that tired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

squonk

Redo the points. I would replace the whole trans myself if you can find one. It's easier to replace the pump with it completely out. Probably cheaper in the long run than buying parts. Plus one hose fitting on the pump is impossible to get out without removing the whole thing first.

bionicfisherman

Well i cleaned and reset the points. This time i set them at .015 and sure enough the knock went away. :handgestures-thumbupright:  Double checked the setting with a timing light and its spot on. now its time to find a replacement hose for that leak.  :handgestures-thumbdown:

• Like 1