zanepetty

k161 over reving now!!!!!

zanepetty

Here's some pics of the piston and new pics if the trash I found in the oil pan. Piston looks scored to me. Might need to be bored?

post-11334-0-41253900-1392596065_thumb.j

post-11334-0-58830700-1392596097_thumb.j

kudzu3

How does the cylinder wall look? As long as you've gone that far, why not go ahead and bore it (about $25.00)  and put some new rings on there and enjoy it for another forty years? No idea what that trash is but it sure is little, looks like pieces of a brass washer...Could be gold. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

zanepetty

Ya!!! I think I'll have it tested. I bet it is gold tommy! I knew I did good when I bought this pile of crap! It produces gold. I agreed though. I want to do it right. Just got to figure out what that is..

zanepetty

OK guys. All the contents of my engine are out. Cant find anything broken at all. I DID find a brass spacer in here though. It goes behind the governor gear. Also I need some help on tolerances for the piston and cylinder wall.. I read my manual but there are two for the k161 so I'm confused. The piston in there is marked STD so it hasn't been bored before. I want to figure out what measurement that is so if I have to, I can bore it the least amount possible. Thanks

post-11334-0-77569800-1392831500_thumb.j

kudzu3

Looks like you have a chore ahead. I believe the piston will be standard, the rings are what you'll need to be concerned with. I had my cylinder measured to determine what size rings to get. Mine was scarred pretty bad and out of round, so I went with 20 over to be sure. If you have the cylinder bored, the machinist can measure and give you the answers you need. Your manual should give the cylinder bore dimensions and when you take it to the machinist, take your manual, he'll appreciate that. I don't pretend to know much about this, just relating my personal experience. I'm sure someone who really knows will jump in here soon. Good luck with it buddy.

kudzu3

Hey, just looked at my manual, the section, "wear tolerances and clearances" seems to have answers. Looks like the two dimensions it mentions are determined by the serial #, 281161 and earlier 2 7/8 and 281162 and later 2 15/16. Hope this helps.

zanepetty

Thanks tommy. I didn't even know there were different size rings.. i just though you got them to fit the size of your piston. I didnt know the OD can be different too. my cylinder wall has a little wear. I can tell a difference when I run my finger in there.

Edited by zanepetty

kudzu3

I believe you can get rings either .010, .020 or .030 over. You'll have to measure the cylinder and then determine how much over you need to go, the machinist can do that for you. I would certainly get a new piston and rod too. I'm lucky, I have a retired engineer/machinist/mechanic and street rodder neighbor who has all the tools and knowledge to help me figure out stuff like this :) . I sure hope I've been some help.

zanepetty

Oh yea. I knew that. I thought you were talking about different OD ring dimensions in addition to just getting them for the correct piston size. Thanks tommy:) you are lucky. I wish I did. I don't know anything about this.