Sign in to follow this  
new2horses

RJ 35 Belt Guard

new2horses

All recently I bought a very nice RJ 35. It is solid and not rusted and complete except the belt guard. Has black wheels on both ends and from what I have read here I believe it is a '55. It does have the channel iron frame. The engine has been replaced with a K 91 that is pretty old (judging by the carb).

It hasn't been cut or broken anywhere that I have seen so far and will go under its own power.

But it did not come with a belt guard, I know I could ask some of you here (Buckrancher, Duke) and you would be happy to take measurements and pictures to share with me, so that I could make one. I would know but others would not.
 So here is what I want to know regarding an early RJ 35 belt guard.

1) Width

2) overall length

3) material thickness,expressed in gauge or thousandths

4) material used to make the rear mounting tab (the one under the seat)

5)distance from the ends to the beginning of the radius and the radius of the bend

6) material to make the front mounting tab (where it bolts to the engine) distance from the end etc.

7) material and location of the belt guide

I would prefer that all replies be posted here, because again I think this would be good info to share, thanks in advance to each for your help.

Regards, David

• Like 1

buckrancher

If it has black wheels on both ends it's probably a 56 the 55 had silver front rims I'll see what I can do for measurements Dave

Brian

Jake Kuhn

Dave, Don't know if he still has them. But Joe papke was selling reproduction guards for $30 or $40. His email is horsedr2004@yahoo.com if you want to check with him

Jake

new2horses

Brian & Jake,

Thanks to you both.

Jake, since I have the skills, materials and time I thought it would be fun to build my own and since I was unable to find the information here, I thought others might benefit as well. The main reason for the post.

When the weather here clears a little I will take a picture or two of this tractor and let the experts here tell me what I have.

I DO appreciate the help.

Regards, David

Hammerhead

Good score on your RJ35! Sounds to me like it is a 1956 for sure with the black rims. The rims could have

been repainted maybe. Those are hard to find. I just bought one last year for $500 and it was repainted and the person who repainted it, painted over the black rims with white paint. Bummer but I will repaint them

black when I get a chance. It even had the original Clinton motor on it that was dated to 1956 from

RJ35hunter on this site. There is some pics of mine some where around this site. Would like to see some pics of yours. Thanks....Keith

AMC RULES

When you get your picts, maybe you can upload 'em here too. :handgestures-thumbsup:   

new2horses

Updated with pictures. In the for what its worth department the secondary belt pulley is 6" in diameter.

Oops that last one just slipped in!!!!!!!!!

post-2940-0-61967000-1392588575_thumb.jp

post-2940-0-54417200-1392588628_thumb.jp

post-2940-0-39703300-1392588665_thumb.jp

post-2940-0-37657300-1392588707_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

'55 then?   :scratchead: 

Kinda looks like the front wheels might actually be silver, don't it?

Jake Kuhn

That would be a 55 dave, and looks like a really really nice one!

neil

Hood looks to be in amazing shape .

Great find .

VinsRJ

Nice tractor!

As I have said a thousand times on this forum you cannot date a RJ on just one attribute... you have to take the tractor as a whole... just because it possibly has silver front wheel doesn't make it a sure thing 1955 model.

• Like 3

buckrancher

not having the correct motor does not help for dating and it has a late 56 /57 steering wheel a 55 and early 56 should have the small cast iron wheel

Brian

buckrancher

here's some pictures Dave

post-591-0-08227600-1392691605_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-96885000-1392691665_thumb.jpg

brian

new2horses

All,

Thanks for the help. Brian in particular.

This tractor  is definitely a keeper, and I will now be on the lookout for a correct engine for !

Plan to just clean it and make her a trailer queen. Everything about it is sweet, she does make me appreciate my more modern tractors though!

Next project is an early 953 and then the RJ tiller.

new2horses

Made the belt guard for the RJ 35. Thanks to each for your help, especially Brian.

One note the 1-1/2" dimension, for the front mounting tab, on Buckrancher's pictures does not work for my tractor, it may be good for all the rest of the RJ 35's in the world, but not this one.

The first picture is of the mandrel I made to bend the flat bar around, the OD is just over 4". It should be noted that one should restrain the unbent end of the bar by clamping it securely to prevent slippage and bending.

Again thanks to all for your help, David

post-2940-0-80363400-1394377786_thumb.jp

post-2940-0-10818100-1394377817_thumb.jp

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Turned out pretty nice...

now that you're tooled up, you should make up a few more of 'em to sell.

• Like 1

buckrancher

Made the belt guard for the RJ 35. Thanks to each for your help, especially Brian.

One note the 1-1/2" dimension, for the front mounting tab, on Buckrancher's pictures does not work for my tractor, it may be good for all the rest of the RJ 35's in the world, but not this one.

The first picture is of the mandrel I made to bend the flat bar around, the OD is just over 4". It should be noted that one should restrain the unbent end of the bar by clamping it securely to prevent slippage and bending.

Again thanks to all for your help, David

different motors Dave mine is for a Clinton 1200 I see you have the kohler

post-591-0-64903900-1394407362_thumb.jpg

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

new2horses

On the tractor.

post-2940-0-47198200-1394980745_thumb.jp

• Like 1

buckrancher

looks good Dave

HorseFixer

Dave, Just seen this post I would agree a 56 is where I would put my Money $$. :)  I was fixin to get up out my chair

but I see everyone has you taken care of on the measurements. Nice looking Tractor by the way! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke