wheelhorse66

cylinder wall

wheelhorse66

Do I have to hone my cylinder wall if I'm replacing a set of rings in a 8hp Kohler? it has no scratches in the cylinder

chazm

If there is no cross hatch in the cylinder   :eusa-doh:  ...  then yes it would be a good idea to hone the bore :thumbs2:

Here's a good thread with rebuild info 

Edited by chazm

Kelly

With out honing the cyl. the rings will not seat/wear in the the cyl. and most likely it will smoke, some times more than before. 

• Like 1

wheelhorse66

If I just hone it, do I still use standard rings?or do I have to get a bigger set?

Desko

If its STD bore and within spec you should be fine with STD rings

MalMac

Honing of the bore is for a lack of better words a roughing of the surface to help mate the rings with the bore. Like said a new set of rings will not mate properly without a good cross hatch surface to run against. Honing is not that expensive and you can buy a hone to do it yourself without spending a lot. I would check your bore first to make sure it's within spec. If it is not doing a hone job will not help much and you will be wasting money.

Fordiesel69

Is the piston tight in the cylinder?  If so, then you can go to harbor freight and get a very cheap cylinder hone and using a drill, create a nice crosshatch pattern, install new rings and be good to go.

If the piston is not tight, and you can slap it back and forth, then you will need to locate a machine shop and source parts that are one size bigger.  For example, if nothing is stamped in the piston top, then assume you have a standard bore.  That means you need to go to the next size being 0.010.  I always buy the parts before taking it to a shop as my local shops tend to bore per the factory specs, and   The bigger sizes over standard, are .003, .010, .020, and .030.  After that, the cylinder will need to be sleeved. 

Your profile shows you are 19.  If you do not have the funds to have a machine shop bore it the next size bigger (which I certainly didn't when I was that age), and you confirm you have nothing stamped in your piston, you can usually cheat, and use a .003 over piston.  It is not the right thing to do, but it will work to by you 500 more hrs or so. 

WH nut

Regardless what you do, you should do nothing until you measure it out and make sure you are in specs and know what numbers you are working with.

• Like 1

wheelhorse66

The piston has a little side to side movement in it,but I don't know how much its supposed to have or if its supposed to have any.

pacer

It really sounds like this isnt something you should tackle without some better guidance than through written responses here. Along with installing rings - which in itself has to be done in a certain manner - the crankshaft, rod, valves , lifters and other areas should be inspected for wear and taken care of at the same time. Is there not someone you could get to give you hands on guidance? I have done several engines but I still like to have my buddy come over and the 2 of us check every thing over.

• Like 2

WH nut

The piston has a little side to side movement in it,but I don't know how much its supposed to have or if its supposed to have any.

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is get the book for the motor and do some reading.

wheelhorse66

About what's the average cost of getting one bored 0.010 over?I might just get it bored

boovuc

It would be tough to put an average on something like that. Machine shops vary from region to region and towns to towns depending on competition. Some shops specialize in small engines, others don't. You would need to call around to some local shops in your area and ask them what you may be getting into. I agree with the other respondents though.

Just replacing the rings and honing the cyl walls will get you no where if you have cylinder slap as you described. You will see smoke on your first firing of that motor and it will only get worse. You would be throwing away your money and worse.....your time.

Call some machine shops. Ask your buddies and your buddy's friends about a reputable shop for some advice and a ball-park quote.

Fordiesel69

$50-80 ball park range to get it bored.    

can whlvr

you guys down in the states are lucky,up here an average rate for measuring,cleaning the steam clean the block.bore cylinder,polish crank cost me 150 bucks,then a kit from an ebay seller was about 120,paint was 15 dollars,new air filter 15 bucks,new plug,oil,another 15 bucks,it was over 300,worth every penny,she runs as new and has a lot more power than before

rmaynard

My local shop is expensive. $100 to bore. Another shop does the same for $125 but will include a valve grind. If I go out of state, I can have it done for about $55. If you have several shops in your area, check around for the best deal. But no matter what, have the bore measured first. Then, if you need a new piston and rings, you buy the one that the shop tells you it needs. Then he will bore the cylinder to properly fit the new piston.

Edited by rmaynard