wheelhorsekid

23x10.5x12 Tires Won't Fit Stock Rims

wheelhorsekid

Sounds like you need another tire shop, I mount all my own tires by hand, I have put to wide a tire on a narrow rim and too narrow a tire on a wide rim, some take more work than others but they fit.

Another note off brand tires run a little small and fit the narrow rims better, a true 10.5 tire will fit best on a 8.5 rim, I have off brands on the standard 7" rims with no problem but the tread does not lay as flat as it would on a wider rim. 

I have 7" wide rims and they are telling me my new 10.5" tires won't fit. I called him today and he said the bead kept popping off one side when he was trying to get the other side on. I am going to buy brand new 520H rims for $124 each. They are still available.

Navig8r

I have 7" wide rims and they are telling me my new 10.5" tires won't fit. I called him today and he said the bead kept popping off one side when he was trying to get the other side on. I am going to buy brand new 520H rims for $124 each. They are still available.

So he couldnt get the beads to 'push out' against the rim?  Am I understanding that right?  If so, my next question is, are we talking about an actual tire shop?  Have you tried seating them yourself with a ratchet strap?  Like this: 

If I am understanding you correctly, when the tire is not seated, the beads are too far from the rim to seat them..... If that is the case, a wider rim is going to make the tire more difficult to seat, not less!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Too much like work, lazy installer there...that's all. 

OOPS...did I say that out LOUD?     :text-imsorry:

• Like 2

varosd

This whole thing has me confused now….520's had  8.5 inch rims and the popping off thing has me lost as well. To me it sounds like a tire tech that has no real clue how to do his job. I have never had these issues and I do my tires myself except for the 6 ply tires on the 18 Automatic rear..those were mounted for me

Jeff,

My 1988 520 only has the 7" rim, it was 8.5 for the 520-HC.   later 520's (not sure when) all had the 8.5" rim. ^_^

Hodge71

Jeff,

My 1988 520 only has the 7" rim, it was 8.5 for the 520-HC.   later 520's (not sure when) all had the 8.5" rim. ^_^

I didn't know that Don…Thanks for keeping me straight…

can whlvr

ive used the strap method,also a piece of wire rope and twist it with a pry bar,then hit the tire with a hammer while putting the air to her,i made an air nozzle filler with no center piece in it,i took it out so when you turn on the air it pumps air with out having to push it against the valve stem,take out the valve out of the tire trying to be seated and it will get max air flow,once the bead seats then the valve can be put back in

flyovrcntry

Yeah I don't see how a 12" tire is popping off a 12" rim,the width should not matter,the tire would just be rounded.

baerpath

Before I would spend $248 for new rims I would go to another shop and have them mounted. Sounds like all they need is the side walls blown out to catch. Were the side walls crushed in when you got them?

• Like 2

Kelly

$20 in tubes could solve the problem also. 

• Like 3

wheelhorsekid

So he couldnt get the beads to 'push out' against the rim?  Am I understanding that right?  If so, my next question is, are we talking about an actual tire shop?  Have you tried seating them yourself with a ratchet strap?  Like this: 

If I am understanding you correctly, when the tire is not seated, the beads are too far from the rim to seat them..... If that is the case, a wider rim is going to make the tire more difficult to seat, not less!

I'm going to a new shop when the snow stops. You're right it doesn't make sense. Thanks for the tips. and advice.

Callen

Sounds like the installer can't get the bead to stay down under the rim edge as he tries to put it on.

wallfish

$20 in tubes could solve the problem also. 

X2

Irv

When you get new tires, especially if they are shipped to you, they come somewhat flattened, especially at the bead. I spread the bead and put pieces of 2 x 4 (about 10" long) at 3 or 4 places to hold the bead spread and put them in a warm place for a few days. When I mount them, I take the valve stem out of the valve so that I am getting the full shot of air to help seat the bead.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

I use the ratchet strap method all the time especially with old dried out front tires that break loose from the bead just let the air back out once you seat the bead or when you let the strap go you may loose some skin or a finger.  I found out the hard way.

KATO

:text-yeahthat: UH HUH been there done that!!

baerpath

When we mount 26x12's on 14 inch wide rims we blow a tube up in them off the rim for a week, to get the bead streatched out to where we need them to mount. And sometimes use a bead tank to blow them out while mounting

WH nut

You can always use a little starting fluid. Fun stuff lol

• Like 1

oaktown1987

B100 with 10.5 tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelhorsekid

Okay I got the tires on the rim with a tube. The guy I took the tires to really didn't know what he was talking about. I'll post some pictures soon,

• Like 1

Kelly

Glad you got it, some places if it don't fit the tire machine don't want to mess with it, or sad to say don't know how. 

KATO

:woohoo::handgestures-thumbupright:

oaktown1987

I got carlysles on stock rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk