Mike in Fort Erie Ontario

518H transmission problems

Hey there.  I am hoping that someone may be able to help me here.  I have a 518 H wheel horse with the 18hp Onan and hydrostat rear end.  By reading on line I suspect that it is an Eaton transmission.  It has the dipstick under the seat as well as a plactic reservoir.  I was pushing snow on the weekend and it was working great as it always does.  All of a sudden, she would not move forward or backward.

The fluid level is on the full mark on the dip stick and is whistle clean.  The resevoir was a bit low, so I added some hydrolic fluid.  Maybe an eigth of a quart and still nothing.  The belt is moving fine, the fan is engaged and when I put it into gear it sounds like the pump is working and it wants to go.  There is no power or movement being relayed to the back wheels or drive axels.

It is almost like I sheared a drive pin or something simual.  I was not working it hard when it stopped and it was not overheating as it was real cold.  -20 or so.

Any ideas out there? 

chazm

I would check the hubs are not loose :confusion-shrug:

ALSO...     WELCOME TO :rs:

smoreau

Sounds like you have a eaton 700. check to see if you stripped a key in the hub. This is a common problem when pushing snow. just as mentioned in the post above.

And :text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:

Edited by smoreau

I was thinking the same thing so I pulled the wheel weights off and I can see the axels in the middle of the hubs.  They are not turning as well. Maybe I should pull the rims and tires right off to make sure that the hubs are not turning?

I have been running hydrolic fluid in this rear end for as long as I can remember and I have never had a problem with it over heating,  even in the summer.

My biggest fear is that it is something internal. 

Ralph S

Did you find out the problem ? I am having the same issues with my 518 H rear end as well.

I ended up fixing it by buying another wheelhorse.  I bought a 520 and got a descent deal on it and I still have the 518 as a parts machine.

I suspect it is something internal and apparently it happens a lot with that rear end.  The 520 rear end is a bigger pump that is easier to service and it has a filter.

Probably not much help to you sorry.  I was weird when it went.  No warning, it just quit.

Ralph S
On 3/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Mike in Fort Erie Ontario said:

I ended up fixing it by buying another wheelhorse.  I bought a 520 and got a descent deal on it and I still have the 518 as a parts machine.

I suspect it is something internal and apparently it happens a lot with that rear end.  The 520 rear end is a bigger pump that is easier to service and it has a filter.

Probably not much help to you sorry.  I was weird when it went.  No warning, it just quit.

I have the same problem. When I spin the fan by hand you can hear something rattle inside. I bought another rear end for it and it turns out that a 520 uses a different style.

20190322_121809.jpg

Ralph S
Just now, Ralph S said:

I have the same problem. When I spin the fan by hand you can hear something rattle inside. I bought another rear end for it and it turns out that a 520 uses a different style.

20190322_121809.jpg

This is in the 518

Ralph S

20190322_121814.jpg

Ralph S

The second picture is what I believe to be a 520. There are no markings on it

Ralph S
1 minute ago, Ralph S said:

20190322_121814.jpg

520 spare

Ralph S

Notice the pivot point is in different positions.

Ralph S
On 3/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Mike in Fort Erie Ontario said:

20190323_100831.jpg.ba48a0bfc3b2c2dd1d40833e0bfb3bbb.jpg20190323_100855_HDR.jpg.1c95db839f0cfcf5691a211e90b2b1f0.jpg20190323_100728.jpg.525e5b6077083fe1eba804f8f2e35906.jpg20190323_100756_HDR.jpg.65fb7ff0cc1e87e4bd7467e8fbab299e.jpg20190323_100805.jpg.19e9373ba353fccae98bfc3ec3cc8711.jpg

Ralph S

Those photos show what I found on mine. a 40 cent bolt snapped and let the gear slip off the end of the pump shaft.

Figures. The 520 rear end has a spin on filter on the back and no plastic reservoir. Both are Eaton pumps but I forget the series. 700 I think. Anyway. The 520 rear is supposed to be tougher and easier to service. I have had no issue with mine to date.  

• Like 1