rodcogroup

Milky fluid in Loader

rodcogroup

I have an Ark loader on my  C161. I have not used it in a while and took it out yesterday to move snow.

The hydraulics were VERY slow. I expected that from the cold weather. I checked the fluid level and it came out milky (photo attached). I drained the fluid ( 10w-30 oil) and will refill it tomorrow.

My question are:

1- Was the hydraulics slow because of the cold or because the fluid is contaminated?

2- Can I use a lighter oil in the system during the winter?

3- How did the oil get to be that contaminated? There are no leaks.

Rob

Pittsburgh, PA

post-6064-0-80787000-1390800410_thumb.jp

daveoman1966

Hyd systems are sensitive to correct fluid levels, be it oil, ATF, or whatever.  If the fluid is OVER-FILL, it will tend to foam, resulting in power failure.  The fluid becomes impregnated with microscopic air bubbles and the only fix is to change the fluid.  This is why, even on car automatics (which is just a complicated hyd pump), there is a warning "do not over-fill".  From the looks of the fluid in your pic, this is exactly what has happened...the oil has turned to foam. 

Change the oil AND filter.  Use the 10-30w or whatever is recommended and DO NOT overfill.  It would behoove you to change the oil again after a few hours run time.

chazm

Taking your questions 1-2-3

#1 - Both will cause the hyds. to run slow

#2 - You can use ATF or 10w year round

#3 - Water got in thru the breather, fill cap or a crack in the reservoir tank

pfrederi

The Ark loader on my D200 didn't have a filter, does yours?  If not I would definitely plumb one in to the bypass line (from the valve bank to the reservoir) because what ever got into your fluid isn't a good thing and just drain and refill will not get it all out. I used one from Norther tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466914_200466914.

• Like 2

smoreau

Condensation in the tank will allow the water to get in. Drastic temperature changes will cause water vapor to cling to the inside of the tank and mix with the oil. Kind of like a ice cold drink on a hot summer day.  You need to flush it out a few times and change it once a year to prevent it from happening again.  This is why automotive manufactures want your your oil changed every 3000 miles or every 3 months, which ever comes first. This is to get contaminants like water out of the engine. 

brandonozz

Any time a reservoir warms and cools the fluids inside will expand and contract bringing moisture in with each cycle. If the oil never gets warm enough (and long enough)to purge the moisture out it will collect over time. That would be my guess as to how the moisture got into the system.

I heard the "car guys" on the radio having a discussion as to which is worse - driving a car for three minutes at a time or driving a car for 20 minutes at a time and they said that just using the car for short periods is the worst as the engine (and other fluids as well) will collect moisture each time it is used but won't ever get warm enough to purge the moisture. I've never actually checked to see how hot the oil gets on the loader when in use but it may not get hot enough to purge the moisture no matter how long you run it. Also, a low oil level would cause the oil to collect moisture quicker with each warm/cool cycle as the ullage is a larger volume bringing in more air each time.

rodcogroup

Thanks for the information. When I looked close I did see millions of tiny air bubbles. I have since drained the system, purged it a bit and refilled it. I will  do again in the spring..its  4 below zero outside and I am done with any tractor work for a while.

The filter idea looks doable..I will installthat in the Spring.

Rob

brandonozz

The Ark loader on my D200 didn't have a filter, does yours?  If not I would definitely plumb one in to the bypass line (from the valve bank to the reservoir) because what ever got into your fluid isn't a good thing and just drain and refill will not get it all out. I used one from Norther tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466914_200466914.

Thanks for putting this info up Paul. I've been planning on getting a filter installed but wanted to work some bugs out with the Ark FEL first before adding the filter. Saved me some trouble searching for one to install.

Do you have any pics of how you mounted yours? I'm always open for ideas!

pfrederi

Thanks for putting this info up Paul. I've been planning on getting a filter installed but wanted to work some bugs out with the Ark FEL first before adding the filter. Saved me some trouble searching for one to install.

Do you have any pics of how you mounted yours? I'm always open for ideas!

The D200 is down in the barn for the winter.  It is currently 1 degree out.  I will get a better picture but not until we get to at least double digits on temperature :)

d5fe9f304419676.jpg

brandonozz

No hurry Paul, I will try getting the housing and filter within the next couple of weeks. If you get the chance to get a close up pic when the weather warms that would be great.

pfrederi

No hurry Paul, I will try getting the housing and filter within the next couple of weeks. If you get the chance to get a close up pic when the weather warms that would be great.

Well it got up to 8 yesterday almost balmy by comparison to other days lately :smile:

I used fitting I had laying around.  You could do the changes more efficiently.  I had the hose made up but since found surplus center has some cheap hose 12" and 18" for about $5.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Hose-and-Hose-Assemblies/Hydraulic-Hose-Assemblies/1-4-X-18-1-4-NPTM-X-1-4-NPTM-2750-PSI-HYD-HOSE-916-1418.axd

Click to enlarge

f23c96304674124.jpg 71b59b304674126.jpg

Edited by pfrederi

brandonozz

Thanks for the pics Paul. Does it make much of a mess when changing the filter or does most of the oil drain out into the resevoir?

pfrederi

Thanks for the pics Paul. Does it make much of a mess when changing the filter or does most of the oil drain out into the resevoir?

Been so long I do not remember for sure.  If it had been a really big mess i probably would have remembered.  Filter doesn't hold very much in any event,but I think most of it had drained down.

brandonozz

Been so long I do not remember for sure.  If it had been a really big mess i probably would have remembered.  Filter doesn't hold very much in any event,but I think most of it had drained down.

Cool, thanks again.