redrooster

Snap ring groove on spindles.

redrooster

In the past I have had a snap ring come off during a hard turn. I thought about installing a kotter key to prevent this from happening. Is there a better fix?post-12156-139079399751_thumb.jpg

redrooster

In the past I have had a snap ring come off during a hard turn. Obviously the groove is walered out. I thought about installing a kotter key to prevent this from happening. Is there a better fix?attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1390793995955.jpg

daveoman1966

Certainly, a cotter pin would solve the problem, if you want to drill the spindle for it.  You could also avoid th problem by (1) always use new snap rings and NOT ones that have already been stretched or sprung a few times (2) using chanellocks, crush the used snap ring down to a smaller size to restore its tension (3) install a thin 3/4" ID washer between the snap ring and the wheel bearing (4) use the correct THICKNESS snap ring....it should fill the slot for it (some of them are very thin) (5) replace the spindles with a pair that have a threaded end for a 3/8" bolt to hold the wheel on.

# 5 is the best solution.

JC 1965

I drilled mine and put cotter pins in. Works fine.     :hide:

ri702bill

Three fixes come to mind - had the same happen on the 702. I switched to wider turf tires & rims and used two 3/4" shaft collars to hold each wheel, as the distance thru the bore in the rim was shorter than the original - problem solved.

The other thing is to drill & tap the ends of the spindles for a "safety" bolt and washer. Still use the retaining ring, but now the end of the spindle looks like that of an 854.

The last fix is to replace the open "E" ring with a Spirol-lock wound retainer - if you can find them.

leeave96

I drilled mine and put cotter pins in. Works fine.     :hide:

I have done this to - not on a spindle, but a similar application, worked great!    :hide:  :hide:  :hide: 

doc724

Even if you replace the snap ring, if your groove is worn at all, you may need to pay a bit of attention on which orientation you place the snap ring.  If the snap ring is conventionally stamped, there will be a bit of die roll (rounded edges) where the stamping punch struck the part.  The side opposite (the die side) will be sharp.  If your snap rings have this feature, you want to be sure that the sharp edge is outermost on the spindle (so that thrust from the tire will force the sharp edge into the groove).  If the snap rings are fine blanked, both sides will have sharp edges.  I have not looked at snap rings for a while so they all may be fine blanked today.  Cotter pins will certainly work. In fact, replacement spindles use cotters.  It is a less costly solution from a manufacturing standpoint.

• Like 2

tarcoleo

In a previous discussion, someone suggested using split chaft collars.  I followed that advise, 

problem permanently solved.

redrooster

What do those collars look like

ri702bill

McMaster Carr carries many styles of shaft collars, including the one-piece and two-piece split style.

specialwheelhorse

I have drilled and tapped some with 5/16 threads.

A good 5/16 bolt and washer will hold a tremendous

amount of pressure.And some of mine were really

hacked up on the ends.

tarcoleo

The split collars are for 3/4" shafts and are about 1/2" long.  The two halves
are secured with two alan head bolts on each collar.  There is enough spindle
length on my C-chassies to accommodate them and a couple of thin gage washers.

redrooster

I decided to install threaded bolts on the ends of the spindles. Problem solved.

THANKS for all the input! :-)