slammer302

K241 rattle

slammer302

I know this subject has been talk about a lot I have a b-80 that I swap a k241 10 HP on to it and it runs great don't smoke at all butt it has rattle thats gets really loud at higher rpm and under load I've been told its probably the balancing grears I was looking for some advice and do I have to remove the crank to get them out? Here's a pic my family calls it the Frankin Mower

rmaynard

What's the spec number on your K241? I've had two of them open and mine never had balancing gears. However, if yours does have them, the disassembly section of the manual shows them being removed after the crankshaft is removed. I'm sure someone with actual experience will chime in before the day is over.

slammer302

46636D

Sorry took so long to reply been out working on the lawn ranger

rmaynard

My 46636D never had balancing gears.

slammer302

Well that eliminates that thanks for our help

I ment ur help

Agage1

I can't be positive but I'm fairly certain the k241 in my 310-8 had balance gears. Its been a while since I rebuilt it but I think it had them

slammer302

From what I've read some do some don't the 16hp k341 I'm rebuilding right now does have them probably won't when I'm done with it though

Fordiesel69

I probably does not have balance gears.  The rattle may be the rod to crankpin clearance.

Make a video and we will be able to tell.

rmaynard

You can check your crankshaft to rod clearance without removing it from the engine with Plastigage. Allowable wear is .0025". Anything over that may cause a noise.

slammer302

I will check it out and get back with you guys its over at the wheel horse barn at my dads. I'm going over their tomorrow for the football game