redrooster

Painting seperate panels

redrooster

I have noticed while dismantling my tractor that the factory didn't paint hidden spots on panels. It would be nice to paint back sides first, assemble panels and than paint everything together. I'm just thinking there may not be a good way to do that without to much overspray, paint reaction or other problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :blink:

Uncle Buck

When I repaint a machine I like to prep and paint each part separate of the others front back etc. then after dried bolt individual parts back together.

zanepetty

I wouldn't suggest painting all together. If you take everything apart, spray the back sides first then spray the outside after. That will keep the over spray to a minimum. But I would do them separately for SURE :) too many angles to paint from if its all together.

redrooster

How do you keep from maring the paint on bolt heads?

Martin

let the paint fully cure before putting it together or if you are impatient and want to put it together as soon as the panels are painted then you need to get everything powder coated.....

some guys will use a nylon washer behind a bolt or screw head to help protect the paint too....

zanepetty

Yes. But are you talking about painting the bolt heads themselves?

Martin

i dont paint bolt heads, don't believe its the right thing to do........

just my opinion, of course......

• Like 1

zanepetty

That's my honest opinion as well..

Edited by zanepetty
  • Like 1

Digger 66

When I repaint a machine I like to prep and paint each part separate of the others front back etc. then after dried bolt individual parts back together.

X-2 ^ 

312Hydro

I've painted the bolt heads on the 312h . It has 2 carriage bolts in each side of the tower which are black. I just sand blast them and prime and paint. I place them in a holder of cardboard with just the heads exposed. Use new cardboard to mount them in when painting.Worked great. Bead blasting would be OK too, the paint just needs something to grab onto.I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Edited by 312Hydro

Anglo Traction

Only thing to bare in mind with re-assembly is that some bolted panels must have 'Ground Connection' Metal to metal continuity like Dash Tower to Frame etc (unless you ground using wire straps). Worth checking them as you go. But then you may know this?.

rmaynard

On my first restoration, I painted everything separately including the bolt heads. Then, after the paint chipped off the heads, I had to go around and retouch them with a small brush. On my subsequent three restorations I used new stainless steel hardware. Still had a little touch up needed where the paint on the panels got nicked, but otherwise nothing else to do.

As to the original question, Wheel Horse assembled most of the tractor, then painted. They did not use any primer either. My opinion is to paint each item separately, then reassemble.

doc724

Like many of the posters here, I painted each part separately and then assembled when I did my C141 restoration.  I also used new hardware (but not stainless).  The cost of the new hardware is not trivial, but after you put in all that effort, to not do it just seems to not be right.  I also want to re-emphasize the comments from Anglo Traction.  If you prepaint everything, you may not have good electrical chassis grounds.  Make sure you use internal serrated lockwashers under bolts or nuts to make sure you break through the paint and have good grounds.  The first clue to a bad ground is that your tail or headlights will not work as they are connected to chassis ground.  A resto is a lot of work, but be patient and you will learn a lot, have a lot of fun, and in the end be very satisfied with your outcome.

zanepetty

Not trying to thread jack but do you have to grind a spot of paint off the bottom of the engine as well? I did that on mine.

Edited by zanepetty

Aussie

If you grind a spot off the bottom of the engine you need a matching spot on the chassis, Best way is to ensure the mounting bolts have bare contact.  I had my 416 - 8 all powder coated and it took quite a while to re-establish all the earth paths. As Richard said, extra earth straps are a good way to go to minimise paint removal.

zanepetty

OK. Well I outlined a corner of my engine while it sat on the chassis with a pen, then I ground a spot off the engine and chassis within the outlined area.

SousaKerry

Touch up paint will be your best friend during and after assembly.  Weeks of prep and painting will always be compromised by that one panel that is a little warped and has a sharp edge.  But then again I restore for 10ft and 6 Mph viewing.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

On my first restoration, I painted everything separately including the bolt heads. Then, after the paint chipped off the heads, I had to go around and retouch them with a small brush. On my subsequent three restorations I used new stainless steel hardware. Still had a little touch up needed where the paint on the panels got nicked, but otherwise nothing else to do.

As to the original question, Wheel Horse assembled most of the tractor, then painted. They did not use any primer either. My opinion is to paint each item separately, then reassemble.

Bob, there is something I did not know. wheel horse did not prime before painting. Interesting, does anyone here do that today? Re paint and not prime?  

Glenn

slammer302

I agree the new stainless steel hardware really sets a new paint job off it really makes it look like you went the extra mile