RJMcEachern

518-H no head lights or tail lights

RJMcEachern

I am trying to figure out why headlights will not work, according to the wiring diagram, I should have a 9 pin engine harness connector, I am having trouble locating this connector, anyone know where it is hidden on the wiring harness?

RJMcEachern

Sparky

With the hood open look at the space between the engine and the battery. Its in there, worked on mine once (16 Onan) and its a pain.

Mike.........

RJMcEachern

Thanks for the info, am i looking for a flat 9 pin or is it square/rectangular/oval shaped?

RJMcEachern

Sparky

Not flat, more rectangle. We must have a pic around here somewhere.

Mike.........

Martin

Here you go upy6emer.jpg

It's called a molex 9 pin connector and if you look at the pin end it's square.....

edejany6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin

RJMcEachern

ok, I found it, but I also seem to have an issue with this, so mine is same type, but schematic shows a green wire to light green wire and mine is white, to the bulb connector then green afterwards, and also looks like someone previously bypasses the connector red wire and hard soldered them together...

RJMcEachern

Wonder if RadioShack would have a 9 pin molex connector????

Martin

Got mine from mouser.com . Got a kit with numerous sizes for around $30. RadioShack might have them, but I doubt they would carry the 9 pin.

The wire colors don't always continue the same, from memory there are instances where colors change at those plugs. Wiring diagram will tell you for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJMcEachern

ok, here is a couple of pics of the connector, just so everyone is on same page   :)

2014-01-24082311_zps369d7038.jpg

2014-01-24082257_zps8ca1b553.jpg

Here is the electrical diagram I am working from...

lightsdiagram_zps5a067f0e.jpg

RJMcEachern

Edited by RJMcEachern

RJMcEachern

got it figured out, the switch connectors are corroded and wiggling the wires on the switch male connectors, worked like a champ, one rear light bulb is blown, both front work, need to get some more dielectric grease and contact cleaner then will put it back together...they work tho...

RJMcEachern

• Like 1

squonk

They use molex connectors on ice machines and furnaces too.They are nothing but junk.

RJMcEachern

yea i agree squonk! they use em on computers and same thing they are junk. So I bought some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and CRC Dielectric grease, should be good to go after they get a "treatment"... I usually use De-Oxit, but they were out, anyone have any experience with the CRC product? I have had great experiences with thier other products so I it was my second choice.

RJMcEachern

Edited by RJMcEachern

30years

Contact cleaner: 

I've had good results with Wurth Contact OL 

http://www.wurthusa.com/web/en/website/produkte_1/chemicals/cleaners/cleaners.php

Recently had a 60A breaker on my generator act up after generator had been stored a while.  (one leg not making good contact)

While out of service I ran the engine occassionally, but didn't utilize the electrical output end of things.

After trying all the local electrical parts dealers for a replacement - with no luck I decided to give the breaker a good dose of Wurth OL. Cleaned it up and it worked fine.

Ordered a new replacement breaker, but the Wurth product got me going till it arrived.

I've used a number of Wurth products and have been satisfied with all.