swarfeater

Traction

sorekiwi

Skinny tri-ribs on the front help a bunch with steering.  Too much lock and it wont turn.  Turf tires suck.  I have never tried loaded or weighted front tires.  I run 12 PSI in mine.

I run 22x7.5 rear turfs with 2 link chains on the rear.  7 gallons of washer fluid in each tire.  6 PSI pressure. 

The only time I spin the rear tires is in the slushy crap the county leaves at the end of my driveway.  The gravel meets the asphalt at that point so there is dips and pot holes (and its sloping) so I'm not surprised when one wheel starts spinning.

I still contend  that the bevel gear diff works the best in the snow, but I've broken all of mine so now I'm stuck with 4 and 8 pinion diffs!

IMG_3966_zpsaab49dcd.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Well, cant say about plowing with a wheel horse yet. But the snowblower  seems ready, 70lb. weights each tire and my new set of 2 link chains.  The past few times no problem, but that on the 416.  cant understand how the WH did that poorly.

Glenn

swarfeater

Must be a weight issue cause you fellas carry a lot more than i do, mines only got calcium front and back and this i did cause she had a hard time mowing around here. this is a lack of level land issue  and even then she do's not like to turn when turning uphill. if it is a diff problem, that's going to have to wait a while, quite a while, i threw in a pic to show how much work room i have left in the shop, not much, got about 15 must complete projects in here already.post-10918-0-29237500-1390646924_thumb.j

dandan111

I would say if your used to the 4wd and like the way it handles than that's what you will want. Around suburbia the horse is best. Light weight front will climb up and stack the show high when needed. They aren't a farm tractor but have the front center stage here in town.

Can't expect a old W/H to have the feel of a modern 4wd tractor.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Looks like you have a lot of machine shop tools in your garage. :handgestures-thumbup:

I hope you can determine what the problem is when you try to plow.

Everyone on here is really proud of their working Wheel Horses. I think a lot of us take offense when someone has an issue with their horse and we try as much as possible to let it known what we do and how we do it to keep our horses working.

We know what these machines can do and love to brag about them! :twocents-02cents:

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 1

boovuc

I'm sure you are experiancing more of a weight issue than anything!

I see an Evolution sitting on the bench! And your in Pennsylvania?

That isn't a priority! (Unless you or the owner of it is more hardcore a rider than I was)!  :)

C-85

My C-85 will push snow like crazy and It steers pretty good, the one thing it lacks the most is traction backing up hills.  With all I've done to it (lots of weights (front and rear), v-bar chains, and snow tires on the front), I think I've made it as good as it can be.  I really enjoy this tractor and love to boast how it's just an 8hp that's doing all this work, and it really does work!  :) It's too bad that no one has come up with a locking rear end for our uni-drives, that would be the best option for our tractors to have better traction.  They'll never do what 4wd drive units do, but they'd sure be a lot better if you could just make both rear tires spin.

C-85

W-Hwithplowandweights_zpsef6d70c0.jpg

Forest Road

Sounds like you need some ballast. I run 200-400 lbs in here and have no problems moving a 2-stage blower in any direction.

BTW - NICE SHOP!!!!!

243F0A04-A894-4DE3-81F6-E83635F240B7-688

sorekiwi

When I put too must ballast on the back of my 520 (with a blower up front) I found I couldnt steer it.  Reducing that ballast from 80 odd lbs to 30 made it good.

wheelhorsekid

I've plowed 12" of snow with my C161. NO WHEEL WEIGHTS just AG tires and it never slipped. Who needs 4WD? Not my HORSE!!!!

swarfeater

the evo is mine, i just detuned it from 96 to 88 inches. i just turned 60 and kicking 96 at 10 to 1 is too much anymore. i suffer from no electric foot syndrome ! the other motor in view is a 1966 volvo penta diesel from my sailboat. parts from these are extinct, period, so rebuilding has been fun.  i rebabbited the bearings and hammered them in, now i have to machine 2 jigs to machine them.  next is a new piston, a friend has the old one at work to use the cmm they have there to give me a accurate blueprint. then i will machine a new one from bar. guess i could have thrown a modern motor in her, but she worked quite well for 48 years for me so i just could not break up the combo, and that single cyl putt putt(6hp)is a lovely sound.  luckily there is a company in texas that makes piston rings that will fit about anything with a bore from 1.5 inch up to 12 inches, so that was easy.  a far as the horse go's, the tires are stock lawn treads with calcium and chains in the rear, not a good snow combo i understand, but should be better than it is, i will look for a differential problem as suggested when i get a chance, and thanks to those who pointed me that way.

dcrage

"a far as the horse go's, the tires are stock lawn treads with calcium and chains in the rear, not a good snow combo i understand, but should be better than it is, i will look for a differential problem as suggested when i get a chance, and thanks to those who pointed me that way."

(I added the emphasis) -- That is what has generated a lot of the comments on your sitiutation, because for quite a few of us weight and chains on lawn treads is a really good snow combo -- Hence all the questions and comments about other possible issues with the tractor

Edited by dcrage

leeave96

the evo is mine, i just detuned it from 96 to 88 inches. i just turned 60 and kicking 96 at 10 to 1 is too much anymore. i suffer from no electric foot syndrome ! the other motor in view is a 1966 volvo penta diesel from my sailboat. parts from these are extinct, period, so rebuilding has been fun.  i rebabbited the bearings and hammered them in, now i have to machine 2 jigs to machine them.  next is a new piston, a friend has the old one at work to use the cmm they have there to give me a accurate blueprint. then i will machine a new one from bar. guess i could have thrown a modern motor in her, but she worked quite well for 48 years for me so i just could not break up the combo, and that single cyl putt putt(6hp)is a lovely sound.  luckily there is a company in texas that makes piston rings that will fit about anything with a bore from 1.5 inch up to 12 inches, so that was easy.  a far as the horse go's, the tires are stock lawn treads with calcium and chains in the rear, not a good snow combo i understand, but should be better than it is, i will look for a differential problem as suggested when i get a chance, and thanks to those who pointed me that way.

I'm thinkin' that with all that shop equipment and your experience - I can see you designing and fabbing some cool accessories and/or mods for the Wheelhorse.   :thumbs: 

posifour11

"a far as the horse go's, the tires are stock lawn treads with calcium and chains in the rear, not a good snow combo i understand, but should be better than it is, i will look for a differential problem as suggested when i get a chance, and thanks to those who pointed me that way."

(I added the emphasis) -- That is what has generated a lot of the comments on your sitiutation, because for quite a few of us weight and chains on lawn treads is a really good snow combo -- Hence all the questions and comments about other possible issues with the tractor

I bolted 50lbs of barbell weights to my rear hitch along with my chains. This has been all mine needed to push snow for my first year. No liquid or wheel weights. Can't steer for squat yet, but pushes a plow great.

dmoore

Well yesterday I decided to put the "new" 42" blade to work..: ) Pushed over 500ft of 7-8" snow,my front & rear driveway..then cleared my neighbors on either side of me & my back lane (not pictured) which is 1/8 mile...no wheel weights or chains just a single 60lb suitcase weight from front of my Kubota B7800 strapped to the rear hitch. Now it did spin from time to time no doubt, but it got the job done. I am looking for the correct wheel weights at present & possibly a set of chains. I was impressed! I think the weight of the C-101 & blade was a "driving force" in getting it done...I would get up a good momentum & it would just keep pushing until I came to the end...wife was impressed! : )

004_zps5c02ff7c.jpg

007_zpsd488e285.jpg

20140129_132050_zps3259dd54.jpg

015_zps889cb461.jpg

010_zpsb5a4dae8.jpg

• Like 1

Hodge71

Well yesterday I decided to put the "new" 42" blade to work..: ) Pushed over 500ft of 7-8" snow,my front & rear driveway..then cleared my neighbors on either side of me & my back lane (not pictured) which is 1/8 mile...no wheel weights or chains just a single 60lb suitcase weight from front of my Kubota B7800 strapped to the rear hitch. Now it did spin from time to time no doubt, but it got the job done. I am looking for the correct wheel weights at present & possibly a set of chains. I was impressed! I think the weight of the C-101 & blade was a "driving force" in getting it done...I would get up a good momentum & it would just keep pushing until I came to the end...wife was impressed! : )

004_zps5c02ff7c.jpg

007_zpsd488e285.jpg

20140129_132050_zps3259dd54.jpg

015_zps889cb461.jpg

010_zpsb5a4dae8.jpg

Thats what a horse can do..Im calling bogus on the whole thing from the get-go. There is no way that 312 can't do the work. My dads 12 auto has pushed so much snow it isn't funny.

I can remember pushing 2 feet of snow with that tractor back in the 70s and 80s with turfs chains and only wheel weights.... Your comments make no sense and there has to be a different issue swarfeater. I don't like hearing our horses being put down when it comes to their ability

Edited by hodge71

dandan111

That 42 inch blade is about perfect if you ask me. Well done.

bmsgaffer

Thats what a horse can do..Im calling bogus on the whole thing from the get-go. There is no way that 312 can't do the work. My dads 12 auto has pushed so much snow it isn't funny.

I can remember pushing 2 feet of snow with that tractor back in the 70s and 80s with turfs chains and only wheel weights.... Your comments make no sense and there has to be a different issue swarfeater. I don't like hearing our horses being put down when it comes to their ability

I dont think he was intentionally putting down the horse. Hard to read emotion through text. He mentioned that the gravel drive was frozen, and I know that no matter how decked out the horse is, ice creates problems. 2wd and open diffs require a good setup and practice (and making sure nothing is broken!). I look forward to hearing about his next experiences maybe after playing with his setup a little (any rubber older than 10 years is bound to be rock hard, so new tires will def help)

Edited by bmsgaffer

dmoore

That 42 inch blade is about perfect if you ask me. Well done.

Dan I think you are exactly right! At least for the C-101....It really surprised me getting all that done with turf tires, no weight & no chains..: ) I'm not too sure about 12-18" of wet snow so I will be looking for wheel weights real soon....thought about chains but don't want to tear up my concrete both in & out of the garage....I think I read somewhere on here that there are rubber coated chains?? Is this a real thing? Sounds kind of bogus to me, hmmmmmm

dandan111

They say the rubber chains are nice. I use steel up and down sidewalks and drives. I filled my tires with washer fluid(I recommend it). 48 inch blade bends to easy that's why I like your 42.

Torino

I think instead of jumping on this guy like he is lying  we should try and figure out the problem.  I once went and looked at a C someting can't remember now and the owner was telling me it would not push snow up his drive way which was not that steep.  I am now wondering if it had the diff problem TT mentioned. 

Tim

I think we all agree that "sum ting wong"

there is a problem with the tractor

we all have experiences of these tractors pushing a lot of snow without issue

can whlvr

there is some finesse needed too,i have to lift the blade or thrower to get it to steer,and when theres ice under the snow it can be a challenge to get her moving