AMC RULES

Muffler Woes

AMC RULES

Any tips/tricks that will enable me to get this little guy off without doing damage in the process?  :tools-hammerdrill:

I'd like to reuse it on another engine.    :thanks:

post-3498-0-50878600-1390401844_thumb.jp

Hodge71

Acteylene torch, or Mapp gas will work but take a bit longer. Heat the coupling cherry red where the muffler screws in and carefully buck out the muffler. It worked on the 18 Auto and its muffler nipples were far more rusted than that bud. It took a couple minutes with my dad heating and me on the Channel locks but it came right out

AMC RULES

Channel locks on the nipple, and the muffler will unscrew from that? 

bowtiebutler956

hodge71 is correct Craig, heat is about the only chance you have of getting it out, without damaging the muffler. When you get it good, and red you might try using an oil filter strap wrench on the large portion of the muffler, as metal is soft when its that hot, and if you use pliers on the nipple area it might cave it in.

Matt

• Like 1

Martin

I think I would try the heat and a strap wrench. Get it nice and hot and it should come loose. But first of all, try some pb blaster after a mild heat up. That stuff seems to work its way into threads with some warmth. You don't want it so hot that the blaster evaporates, just enough to help it get in. Give it some time to work. Use the strap wrench at all times though, as pipe wrenches or similar could damage the muffler and or pipe threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMC RULES

Out with the new...in with the old.

WOO HOO...I say unto you!   :dance:

post-3498-0-92967900-1390411618_thumb.jp

• Like 1

ol550

I think I would try the heat and a strap wrench. Get it nice and hot and it should come loose. But first of all, try some pb blaster after a mild heat up. That stuff seems to work its way into threads with some warmth. You don't want it so hot that the blaster evaporates, just enough to help it get in. Give it some time to work. Use the strap wrench at all times though, as pipe wrenches or similar could damage the muffler and or pipe threads.

Might have trouble using a strap wrench unless you are quick.  But you can always scrape the melted nylon off when done. :dunno:

AMC RULES

I'm pretty sure it was Martin, who originally posted back in the day...

a tip to remove stubborn mufflers, and the pipe nipples seized in the head. 

Take a cold chisel, a BFH, and collapse the nipple. 

Actually, I didn't even get that far...two good wacks started to deform the nipple...

muffler then screwed right off.   :chores-mop:  Was too easy. 

Done deal... :bow-blue: thanks to all who posted.    :thanks: 

ri702bill

I have had good success by cutting the coupling in half cross wise with a Sawzall. Then cut the coupling on the muffler nipple on a diagonal almost thru to the threads on the nipple - do this in 2 places. Look into the coupling to see how far you can cut thru without cutting the end of the nipple - probably about 3/8". Cut the end to connect the 2 diagonal cuts & cut almost to the nipple. Heat & PB Blaster from both sides of the coupling & then use a flat blade screwdriver tip in the cut to wedge it open - the pipe threads are tapered & this helps relieve the pressure on the nipple. If you get real lucky, the coupling will split open at least one of the diagonal cuts & allow for easy removal.

Do the same for the other half of the coupling on the motor.

Martin

Good deal, completely slipped my mind that the nipple could be sacrificial, I was thinking you wanted to get it out without damaging it, definitely the way to go, and you got to beat on something at the same time......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Awesome tip, that was Martin. :eusa-think: Just think, you didn't even have to post it here...and it still worked.  

I forgot, I used that same tip on my Ariens walk behind blower too, back when you posted it originally.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES

Wishin4a416

I was thinking an old leather belt and pipe wrench after heated.

dclarke

The muffler looks good on there, Craig. Glad you got it off O K.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Thanks Denny...I'm stoked.   :) 

cumminscook

Channel locks on the nipple, and the muffler will unscrew from that? 

channel locks on the nipple sounds like it will hurt lol just kidding :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Give it a try, then report back...

hey, you never know.   :ychain:

• Like 1

cumminscook

that's ok lol :angry-nono:

leeave96

Probably a little late to this thread, but when I'm using a torch heating a stuck bolt, I dab a candle on the threads. Many times when you remove the heat, the wax gets sucked into the joint and the bolt frees up. Wax ain't flamible either which is a plus.

• Like 1