Eric857

K181 Carb replacement?

Eric857

Hello Redsquare,

I am in the process of restoring a wheel horse 857 and at the moment I am cleaning up the engine. One of the things i am doing to clean the engine is clean and rebuild the carb. My father told me that I am better off getting a new carb. I am wondering if it is possible to buy a new carb for a 1967 Kohler k181 engine? I found a rebuild kit online that i could buy if I were to just clean it out and replace all of the gaskets. Al so how would i clean the outside of the carb to make it look new again?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

oaktown1987

they do have them on ebay occasionally but if ur going to get rid of it let me know

oaktown1987

im not sure what they call it but it in a gallon can it has a dipper in it u soak it in berryman makes it some wal marts sell it and napa sell them it make sure u all rubber and seals off it

rmaynard

Unless the carburetor is so completely worn out or broken, there should be no reason to have to replace it. New and used carburetors can be found on eBay at times. However, I have rebuilt 5 K181/K161 carburetors within the last 3 years, and the process is relatively straight forward.

First, if you don't already have it, go to the "manuals" section of the forum and download the Kohler K-Series Service Manual. Then go to section 6 and read about carburetors.

The #22 carburetor that you are working on is fairly simple. Get a carburetor kit either from eBay, your local Kohler dealer or wherever you can find one. I usually watch the internet until I find them cheap and buy them in quantity so I always have one on hand.

To properly clean and repair the carburetor, it must be removed from the engine. Clean the exterior with something like brake cleaner or kerosene to remove old dirt and oil. Then, after removing the bowl, gaskets, float and float needle, remove the main needle and idle needle. Then soak the carburetor and all the parts overnight in some kind of cleaner. Some guys swear by Berryman's Chem Dip, other use plain kerosene or even lacquer thinner. But soaking is the only way to loosen and dissolve the gunk on the inside of the carburetor.

After it has soaked, remove the carburetor body and blow it out with compressed air. Install the new float valve kit per the instructions. Adjust the float level per the instructions. Install new gaskets, bowl, nut and new washer. Look at the long needle valve. You will see quite a few tiny little holes, some near the bottom, middle and top. Those holes must be clean. That tube is hollow and it must be clean. You must be able to pass air through the length of the tube and in and out of the little holes. Reinstall it with it's spring, back into the carburetor until it softly bottoms out, then back it out 2 turns. Clean the idle jet and screw it back in the same way, and back it out 1-1/4 turns.

Next thing to check is the throttle shaft. There should be little or no side to side movement. If there is movement, air will be sucked into the carburetor along the throttle shaft and cause other issues. Repairing this problem will be covered later it necessary.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

chazm

And there you have it :handgestures-thumbupright:  Simple & too the point :tools-wrench:   Good Post Bob :greetings-clappingyellow:

WheelHorse79

I went the replacement route for the K181 in my 854.  I typed in my carburetor number on Ebay and searched for a replacement.  I found a couple of vendors selling OEM replacements carbs and bought one for $80.  I bolted it on without any adjustments, and the K181 fired right up!  Right now, the 854 is my best running Wheel Horse.

JC 1965

Very good post Bob.   :thumbs2: Easy to follow instructions.  

specialwheelhorse

Then again, of course if pop will spring for a new one, go for it, then clean the old one and have a spare.

He ! He !      

The old goof in Texas      Jim Rodgers

Eric857

I looked all over the web for a new carb and finally ordered one. They were generally arounf $200 to $250 for a brand new carb from kohler. I went through as many websites as I could find and on the last one I found a brand new Kohler k181 carb for like $119 (there was also a non kohler one that is compatible with my engine for like $100 dollars) if anyone is interested the website is listed below. I was also able to find a new fuel pump, engine gasket kit, and a new ignition coil..... This 857 is going to be unstopable

http://www.psep.biz/store/small_engine_parts.htm?gclid=CKb5lOCgk7wCFaxr7AodZycATw

oaktown1987

What are u going to with the old one